Thread: Smear Test Fears

Smear Test Fears

Hi all,

I'm 34yo and never had a smear test. I know this is irresponsible and something I should correct but I'm terrified tbh. I've never had sex, never had any kind of penetration and as stupid as it may sound, I can't help feeling that my body just...won't be open to it. I'm too scared to even try anything on myself so the thought of a nurse or doctor coming at me with a speculum is A Lot. I don't imagine there's probably anyone who has been in the same situation as me but on the off-chance that there is, any words of advice/comfort?

Re: Smear Test Fears

Please go its not as bad as it may seem and to be honest if you've never had sex chances are yout smear will be normal anyway as hpv is passed through intercourse

Hi please don’t be nervous I had my first smear at 36 and I was just as nervous, for me the reason was I had a lot of attempts before but it was just painful. Ask the nurse to use a smaller speculum if you’ve never had sex before the speculums come in different sizes and also follow the nurses instructions to breath in and out it literally is over in couple of seconds. Chances are you are going to be absolutely fine as you are low risk due to never being sexual active. But honeslty itl be over before you know it

My first smear test I hadn’t had sex yet either - I expected it to hurt as my friends who were all sexually active told me it was painful. To be honest, I didn’t even feel it! I was so surprised. The ones I’ve had since I feel just a bit of pressure, but it’s not painful at all. Please don’t be too worried about it.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondreams View Post
    Hi all,

I'm 34yo and never had a smear test. I know this is irresponsible and something I should correct but I'm terrified tbh. I've never had sex, never had any kind of penetration and as stupid as it may sound, I can't help feeling that my body just...won't be open to it.
    They have different sizes of speculum for the test and they will have one to suit you too. I've gone from needing the bucket sized one (thanks, kids) to one of the smaller ones (thanks, menopause). My vagina has shrunk down drastically.. Anyhoo, I thought my smear would hurt this time but it didn't. The nurse was lovely and used loads of lube. I wasn't in any discomfort at all. A couple of weeks later, I got my all clear and that's me for the next five years.

Don't think about this anymore. Make the appointment.

Discomfort (if any) with the smear test is minimal and it's super-quick if you relax into it and breathe out as the speculum goes in..

It's really important that you have this test then you can stop worrying about it..

Thread Information