Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkeypox vs Covid

Monkeypox vs Covid

I know both viruses are different to each other and that so far the experts generally believe that Monkeypox is less problematic than Covid, but I can't help imagining scenarios where Monkeypox turns out to be far more serious than currently believed, especially as on the face of it, it seems that cases are rising exponentially and I can sense a bit of early Covid pandemic 'deja vu' where the experts and authorities initially seemed to play down the seriousness of Covid, of which we're still seeing the profound repercussions of almost 2 and 1/2 years on.

Strangely I'm not necessarily scared of catching Monkeypox myself, and I don't mean to sound selfish, but it's more the thought of having to go through a load of restrictions once again just like in 2020 and the first few months of 2021.

There must be something going on as Monkeypox cases suddenly seem to be increasing en masse. In fact, it seems like a mini-pandemic already!

Meanwhile (and most ironically), Covid barely seems to be getting any mention in the daily news headlines of late, despite it still being more widespread and problematic than Monkeypox so far!

Re: Monkeypox vs Covid

I read today that Monkeypox is no longer designated HCID.

It was previously only as a precautionary measure, obviously because the authorities didn't want to be accused of having been caught napping like they were during the onset of the Covid pandemic in early 2020.

So that must partly explain as to how it hasn't been getting the same amount of media attention over this past week or so.

To my understanding, monkeypox is a lot less contagious than covid, and generally has less chance of long-term effects. Plus, there is already a trusted vaccine in circulation. So even if it did become more of an issue, I think it would be easier to take down and would require less restrictions than covid would.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    To my understanding, monkeypox is a lot less contagious than covid, and generally has less chance of long-term effects. Plus, there is already a trusted vaccine in circulation. So even if it did become more of an issue, I think it would be easier to take down and would require less restrictions than covid would.
    Exactly Poppy. I think a lot of it was the usual 'scaremongering' by the media and of course govts wanting to cover their own backsides following their epic screw-ups over Covid during the original onset of the pandemic in early 2020.

But of course, we were only being wise and erring on the side of caution until more became known about this current 'strain' of Monkeypox, which in itself actually predates Covid (originating around 2017), plus there were already a handful of confirmed cases of it here in the UK in 2018-19, but further outbreaks (ironically) were temporarily 'delayed' by the Covid pandemic and its attendant restrictions, but have obviously resumed since the Covid restrictions were eased.

But obviously, Monkeypox is hardly in the same league as Covid, so barely warrants stringent restrictions.

Also the panics over AIDS back in the 80s never led to lockdowns/restrictions either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Also the panics over AIDS back in the 80s never led to lockdowns/restrictions either.
    Lenco, take a second and think about how AIDS is transmitted vs Covid and I think you'll see why there was no need for a lockdown on this one

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Lenco, take a second and think about how AIDS is transmitted vs Covid and I think you'll see why there was no need for a lockdown on this one
    I know that full well BI, but I was (dare I say it) referring to Monkeypox in the sense of homosexuals reportedly being in the higher risk category, hence why I brought up AIDS/HIV, even though that in itself isn't necessarily the sole cause of said virus.

And this isn't intended as gay-bashing either, plus I'm sure I'm telling it like it is.

Sorry, I still don't get your point. I don't think you're being homophobic, but I think you're overlooking the fact that there'll never be a lockdown imposed against people shagging in the streets.

Sorry, I still don't get your point. I don't think you're being homophobic, but I think you're overlooking the fact that there'll never be a lockdown imposed against people shagging in the streets.
    I think maybe he was getting at that since HIV/AIDS was thought to only effect homosexuals in the 80s, there wasn't much in the way of lockdowns because they were kind of just written off (at least here in the US).

But yeah, I agree that lockdowns shouldn't happen for monkeypox unless it somehow becomes more contagious/easily transmitted than it currently is.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Gotcha, sorry both.

On another planet today; one of the cats decided to leap out of a first floor window last night and I was up until around 3am tracking him down and bringing him home.

On another planet today; one of the cats decided to leap out of a first floor window last night and I was up until around 3am tracking him down and bringing him home.
    All part of his plan for world domination Blue...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information