Thread: American political situation driving me insane

American political situation driving me insane

I've been increasingly preoccupied and anxious about the political direction America is taking at the moment, with all this far right ultraconservatism gaining ground. I have nothing against people having conservative values, but this attempt to frankly impose them on the entire population through intimidation and through the law is really scaring me. Although I'm Australian, the prospect of America descending into authoritarian madness or civil war horrifies me, because it is the heart of the free world, it is such a powerful country and because I am friends with many Americans. I don't know how I can feel positive about any of this. I've been avoiding talking to my friends or enjoying anything because of this.

Re: American political situation driving me insane

Hi Peter, I live in the US and I feel much the same as you, though admittedly it's hard to not just feel numb about it all. Pretty much all they tell us over here is "vote!" but a lot of voting districts are really gerrymandered and there are really oppressive voting laws in many places as well; also, we've had people in power who have said they will bring about positive change and either nothing at all happens, or it doesn't matter and the far right just continues to gain ground. Coupled with economic troubles, I must admit, it's hard to feel anything but pessimistic towards the future. I wish I had some sort of comfort to provide, but really I just try to take it day by day.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

I've felt pretty much the same about the political climate here in the UK for quite a few years now. It's as if a lot of people don't really give a damn anymore, but still continue to bash Boris and Co (or whoever else) at the same time.

Then when our next GE comes along in 2024, it will no doubt be the same old same old once again, with many people still either bottling out of voting entirely, or continuing to play the 'whataboutery' card with the other parties, especially over issues that are of lesser relevance right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Peterthegreatworrier View Post
    I've been increasingly preoccupied and anxious about the political direction America is taking at the moment, with all this far right ultraconservatism gaining ground. I have nothing against people having conservative values, but this attempt to frankly impose them on the entire population through intimidation and through the law is really scaring me. Although I'm Australian, the prospect of America descending into authoritarian madness or civil war horrifies me, because it is the heart of the free world, it is such a powerful country and because I am friends with many Americans. I don't know how I can feel positive about any of this. I've been avoiding talking to my friends or enjoying anything because of this.
    I seriously can't imagine Biden, nor Trump being that interested in starting any 'conflict' with Australia (or vice versa) in the near future, especially as I'm not currently aware of any potential rivalry nor hostilities between the two countries.

Also, as I have already implied above, do they really care that much politically about Australia right now?

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Hi Peter, I live in the US and I feel much the same as you, though admittedly it's hard to not just feel numb about it all. Pretty much all they tell us over here is "vote!" but a lot of voting districts are really gerrymandered and there are really oppressive voting laws in many places as well; also, we've had people in power who have said they will bring about positive change and either nothing at all happens, or it doesn't matter and the far right just continues to gain ground. Coupled with economic troubles, I must admit, it's hard to feel anything but pessimistic towards the future. I wish I had some sort of comfort to provide, but really I just try to take it day by day.
    Hi Poppy. I'm sorry that you're feeling the same way too. I hope it is some comfort that people from as far away as where I am are concerned about you guys. Yeah, I've heard about all that, it really sucks.
    I think an important thing to do is to go out and resist anti-democratic and regressive efforts as much as possible, through protests and the like. I can't imagine there won't be a massive backlash against these policies, especially considering they're being made on behalf of a political minority.
    Take care, Peter.

Hi Peter don’t worry about American politics it’s what’s happening in the South Pacific at the moment and China’s 99 year lease on Darwin Harbour that is of more concern too me.American Gun laws I think suck,also the right for an abortion as at the moment the Supreme Court is trying to overturn Roe v Wade.
    Hopefully getting rid of the religious nut Scomo things might improve over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Hi Peter don’t worry about American politics it’s what’s happening in the South Pacific at the moment and China’s 99 year lease on Darwin Harbour that is of more concern too me.American Gun laws I think suck,also the right for an abortion as at the moment the Supreme Court is trying to overturn Roe v Wade.
    Hopefully getting rid of the religious nut Scomo things might improve over here.
    Hi Lolalee.
    Oh yes, all that certainly concerns me too - sometimes I think I'm so glad I'm in Australia, other times that I wish I was in America XD.
    I personally wouldn't get too hung up on the Darwin Harbour lease though - it's certainly very problematic, but it's not as if China has sovereignty over it, in a crisis the Australian government has full control.
    I certainly agree with you about Scotty from marketing, I'm sure we're going to get a lot more rationality now, including a sensible foreign policy not one based on alternating indecisiveness and fearmongering.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Hi Peter, I live in the US and I feel much the same as you, though admittedly it's hard to not just feel numb about it all.
    I agree... I'm older so I've certainly lived through many other challenging times in world history, but in my years, I've never seen things so chaotic and divided. I've come to the conclusion that the world has always been this way. The difference is the internet. We now have 24/7 access to the crazy and those sharing it As with you, I take it day to day although it is challenging at times not to get caught up in it (especially what's going on currently in the US). That said, I am truly concerned for the world right now and for the future for my children.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information