Thread: Palpitation episodes - Worried and thinking I'm dying

Palpitation episodes - Worried and thinking I'm dying

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well.

I'm having a bit of an anxiety relapse at the moment, I'm under a lot of stress (just found out I can't buy a home and instead have to spend lots of money fixing the place I am in, and I'm also going to be a dad in the next couple of months)

For the past few months (probably 6 months), I have been experiencing bouts of Palpitations that last up to 2 weeks at a time and seem to be triggered by stress, and cause me a large amount of anxiety and worry.
    At the same time I also experience stomach issues, mainly excess burping, heartburn and an upset stomach. Belching and burping seems to slow the frequency of them.

My heart rate seems to be relatively normal (under 100bpm) but I can see the skipped beats if I use for instance a Samsung phone with heart rate monitor.

The problem is, Dr Google is back on the scene and I'm scared and panicky that I'm not going to be here to see my daughter grow up. I've put on a bit of weight over the past 2 years which makes me feel like I'm unhealthy and even have thoughts that I'm going through Heart Failure a lot of the time.
    I'm scared to sleep because I feel like I won't wake up
    I'm scared I'm having episodes of AFib and am going to die suddenly or have a heart attack or stroke.

But the worst part this time is that I'm scared to go to the doctors because it's a completely new doctor that seems to be overly cautious and causes anxiety.

Does anyone else experience this and can give me any tips? I feel like I'm going crazy and want to be here to bring my daughter up

Re: Palpitation episodes - Worried and thinking I'm dying

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM1994 View Post
    I'm having a bit of an anxiety relapse at the moment, I'm under a lot of stress (just found out I can't buy a home and instead have to spend lots of money fixing the place I am in, and I'm also going to be a dad in the next couple of months)
    First child? Nothing like the impending birth of a first child to get those stress hormones flowing...

My heart rate seems to be relatively normal (under 100bpm) but I can see the skipped beats if I use for instance a Samsung phone with heart rate monitor.
    Firstly, I'd advise anybody who has health anxiety NOT to use home heart or BP monitors..

Secondly, when you use them, you can't just make random ECG checks and expect accuracy. You have to follow certain rules; the same when taking blood pressure. There is a list of dos and don'ts on the Samsung website and unless you are following these instructions, you will not get an accurate reading and inaccuracy (and not understanding results) feeds into health anxiety..

The problem is, Dr Google is back on the scene and I'm scared and panicky that I'm not going to be here to see my daughter grow up. I've put on a bit of weight over the past 2 years which makes me feel like I'm unhealthy and even have thoughts that I'm going through Heart Failure a lot of the time.
    I'm scared I'm having episodes of AFib and am going to die suddenly or have a heart attack or stroke.
    Dr Google doesn't just show up; he's invited in by us. And a sesh with Dr Doom rarely ends well when you have health anxiety...

Having children means huge responsibility and it's a very stressful time, even for the those who do not suffer with anxiety disorders. Suddenly we give a shit about our mortality because a tiny human relies on us and we think that we are the only human on this earth who can do the job. We're not, but that's the road our irrationality takes us. The 'what if's' can be crippling if we allow them to be..

Don't worry about the extra weight; that'll soon come off when you've been running round like a blue arsed fly for a few months. Tucking into a leisurely breakfast, dinner, or tea becomes a thing of the past for few months (at least) and before you know it you'll be running around after a toddler..

But the worst part this time is that I'm scared to go to the doctors because it's a completely new doctor that seems to be overly cautious and causes anxiety.
    I think most doctors know anxiety when they see it..

I feel like I'm going crazy and want to be here to bring my daughter up
    Don't allow anxiety to spoil this special time for you. You won't get it back and it will fly by, believe me..

Work on lowering those stress levels...

Re: Palpitation episodes - Worried and thinking I'm dying

Hello Ryan,

Just a quick one to reassure you that this sounds exactly like what I get. I've had it thoroughly investigated and it's ventricular ectopic beats, which are apparently quite common and entirely benign. Often triggered by stress and anxiety.

All is well with you, I'm quite confident.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM1994 View Post
    Hi All,

Hope everyone is well.

For the past few months (probably 6 months), I have been experiencing bouts of Palpitations that last up to 2 weeks at a time and seem to be triggered by stress, and cause me a large amount of anxiety and worry.
    At the same time I also experience stomach issues, mainly excess burping, heartburn and an upset stomach. Belching and burping seems to slow the frequency of them.

Does anyone else experience this and can give me any tips? I feel like I'm going crazy and want to be here to bring my daughter up

Thread Information