Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football hooliganism

Football hooliganism

With the World Cup just on the horizon, and with recent reports of aggro at footie matches (both at home recently and in Paris over the weekend), I'm dreading the potential for mass public unrest and anarchy in this country alone.

People are already (reportedly) using the recent pandemic as a 'scapegoat' for unruly behaviours, plus of course people will inevitably be angry about Partygate and the COL crisis as well.

Sorry to sound so negative and doom-
    mongering but I can't help imagining it being like August 2011 all over again this summer.

I also can't help ruminating on the umpteenth school massacre in the USA last week; how long before some crazed nutjob tries to do some kind of 'copycat' here in the UK or in mainland Europe?

Re: Football hooliganism

Or it might come and go without any major mither at all....

Have you ever had any professional help for the trauma you suffered as a result of the 2011 riots, Lenco?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Or it might come and go without any major mither at all....
    Especially if the media don't hype it all up out of proportion.

When that happens, it often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and inadvertently escalates into a fully- fledged 'moral panic'!

Going back to Saturday's incident in Paris, the local authorities there were playing the 'English Disease' card once again, which is now so trite and hackneyed, and also once again smacks of England/Britain-bashing.

Let's face it, the French themselves are hardly completely civilised when it comes to footie and associated hooliganism, so a bit hypocritical IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Have you ever had any professional help for the trauma you suffered as a result of the 2011 riots, Lenco?
    Unfortunately there isn't an awful lot they can do, Pulisa.

Yes I know my town was unaffected, despite one 'false alarm' at our local retail park that was caused by silly gossip/disinformation on social media, which today would be referred to as 'fake news'!

I think you're overthinking an unlikely event that you can do nothing about if it happens and is even more unlikely to affect you if it does.

Every match I've been to from internationals to what was the conference league, there is always someone or a group looking to kick off as they've hit the grog hard in the run up, it doesn't turn into a riot.

The vast majority of us including thugs and hooligans do not live our life through what the media prints. We take note of it, but our decisions are more based on the general opinions of family, friends, and work colleagues, not the media.

The world Cup is in Qatar, cost will be out of reach for many of those at the shallow end of the gene pool who tend to cause trouble at matches. I can't imagine Qatar authorities will tolerate much trouble and human rights are a little lax in the middle East those that cause trouble may find.

We lost the Euro final in 2020 at Wembley, London was not on fire afterwards.

The police have shot and killed 24 people since they despatched the scrote in 2011, we have not seen the same reaction since.

If Paris over the weekend was any example, I'd be more concerned about the police than hooligans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Unfortunately there isn't an awful lot they can do, Pulisa.

Yes I know my town was unaffected, despite one 'false alarm' at our local retail park that was caused by silly gossip/disinformation on social media, which today would be referred to as 'fake news'!
    Has a therapist told you that he/she couldn't try to treat your anxiety?

Lenco, I knew this post was from you before I even clicked on it. And it’s fine honestly, I don’t mean that in a bad way because we all have our triggers.

Like Spectrum said above, you cannot control what will happen at these events, so it is a purely kind of hypothetical worry that serves no purpose and does you not good.

There will always be get togethers where a fight breaks out or someone gets rowdy. I don’t know what your personal fear of this happening is, but it’s very very unlikely to affect you or your family.

The world is definitely a scarier, crazier place, but there are still so many brave, good and kind people, and they are the ones you could try to focus on.

I know I'm always saying this, Lenco, but I think the world might be less scary for you if you plucked up the courage to engage with it a little more.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information