Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Music from environment looping

Re: Music from environment looping

I try to listen to new chart music at least once a month now and there's a lot of skipping tracks but there are the occasional tracks I like. I love the Sam Fender (Eurovision) track but I do struggle with many of the songs in the charts sounding the same - autotuned to hell - and lacking in substance, so I am pleased to see Master of Puppets in the charts (also due to Stranger Things) because it's an excellent song and Metallica are an excellent band. I do like a bit o' thrash metal!

I'm inspired now. I'm doing under the dado rail in the bedroom today (decorating) and I think I'll play some Metallica and do some air-drumming (or attempt to ha ha ha) with my paint brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I try to listen to new chart music at least once a month now and there's a lot of skipping tracks but there are the occasional tracks I like. I love the Sam Fender (Eurovision) track but I do struggle with many of the songs in the charts sounding the same - autotuned to hell - and lacking in substance, so I am pleased to see Master of Puppets in the charts (also due to Stranger Things) because it's an excellent song and Metallica are an excellent band. I do like a bit o' thrash metal!

I'm inspired now. I'm doing under the dado rail in the bedroom today (decorating) and I think I'll play some Metallica and do some air-drumming (or attempt to ha ha ha) with my paint brushes.
    I personally think that the music industry has partly shot itself in the foot over the past decade or more by trying to stay too formulaic, obviously due to fear and risk of losing sales, which they have (ironically) done anyway through sticking with the 'same old same old' over the same period.

On the other hand (and also ironically), there are many older people who lament the loss of local HMV stores and the more widespread availability of CDs in previous decades, but probably never even set foot in an HMV (or likewise) store, nor even bought a CD album since about 2006 or so, which also smacks of hypocrisy.

It has also been a case of 'use it or lose it' in many respects.

I still use HMV.. (I was in there last week)

However, I think the last CD I bought was These People by Richard Ashcroft in 2016.

Have bought some vinyl albums though (and choked as I paid the money)

Aside my vinyl and CD collection, I use Amazon music for streaming and I generally buy music that way these days. I used to spend hours with my records and tapes making mix tapes and I still do this now on Amazon with playlists, only it's a lot quicker and no annoying cassette tape spoilage or technical issues with CD burning. What happens now is the internet conks out.

I played the Stranger Things music playlist yesterday (air drums for Master of Puppets, obvs) and it was excellent. Five hours worth of music. It's convenient, but there is still something special about going to a record store and handling albums..

Go back further to the 70s and 80s (when a new album was under a fiver) and it was a treat for me to go the the record store with my dad. And they only sold records and tapes.. (and maybe a few badges and patches)

I've just seen that HMV is flogging The Clash's Combat Rock album (green disc) for the 40th anniversary so that's going on my wish list. (Forty years though? I feel ancient now)

Combat Rock was the album that was playing (loudly) in 82 when my mother booted open the bedroom door with her fluffy mule slipper; she marched in and unceremoniously removed The Clash mid-song - into the sleeve it went, and out through the window. The song was Should I Stay or Should I go (I guess the answer was 'Go')

To be fair to my mum, I had a habit of playing my music at ear-splitting levels (it's no wonder I'm now hard of hearing) and in 82 she was going toe-to-toe with the menopause.

Apparently, she'd been shouting up the stairs (for ages) for me to turn the volume down as she couldn't hear Terry Wogan (or whatever dude was on Radio 2) over my music..

However, The Clash were a punk band so the record was naturally as hard as they were. Clash don't do flimsy, so Combat Rock survived with minimal damage (but I taped the bugger just in case Mum's hormone imbalance got the better of her again)

Should I Stay or Should I Go is on the soundtrack to my life playlist and I always think of my mum when I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I still use HMV.. (I was in there last week)

However, I think the last CD I bought was These People by Richard Ashcroft in 2016.

Have bought some vinyl albums though (and choked as I paid the money)

Aside my vinyl and CD collection, I use Amazon music for streaming and I generally buy music that way these days. I used to spend hours with my records and tapes making mix tapes and I still do this now on Amazon with playlists, only it's a lot quicker and no annoying cassette tape spoilage or technical issues with CD burning. What happens now is the internet conks out.

I played the Stranger Things music playlist yesterday (air drums for Master of Puppets, obvs) and it was excellent. Five hours worth of music. It's convenient, but there is still something special about going to a record store and handling albums..

Go back further to the 70s and 80s (when a new album was under a fiver) and it was a treat for me to go the the record store with my dad. And they only sold records and tapes.. (and maybe a few badges and patches)

I've just seen that HMV is flogging The Clash's Combat Rock album (green disc) for the 40th anniversary so that's going on my wish list. (Forty years though? I feel ancient now)

Combat Rock was the album that was playing (loudly) in 82 when my mother booted open the bedroom door with her fluffy mule slipper; she marched in and unceremoniously removed The Clash mid-song - into the sleeve it went, and out through the window. The song was Should I Stay or Should I go (I guess the answer was 'Go')

To be fair to my mum, I had a habit of playing my music at ear-splitting levels (it's no wonder I'm now hard of hearing) and in 82 she was going toe-to-toe with the menopause.

Apparently, she'd been shouting up the stairs (for ages) for me to turn the volume down as she couldn't hear Terry Wogan (or whatever dude was on Radio 2) over my music..

However, The Clash were a punk band so the record was naturally as hard as they were. Clash don't do flimsy, so Combat Rock survived with minimal damage (but I taped the bugger just in case Mum's hormone imbalance got the better of her again)

Should I Stay or Should I Go is on the soundtrack to my life playlist and I always think of my mum when I hear it.
    Pre-CD, let alone Internet, in the late 70s and early 80s, with a choice between just vinyl LPs and pre-recorded cassettes for albums, and for singles, 7'' and (occasionally) 12'' vinyl.

Sounds like my kind of bliss Nora, when recorded music was on 'proper' physical formats (and all analogue).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information