Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music from environment looping

Question Music from environment looping

Hello

I don’t know where to post this as I am not sure what’s going on with me. Have any of you who have anxiety ever had every music sound in your environment repeat in your head none stop. I know it’s normal to get a song stuck but this Is different. For an example if I walk in to a shop and a song is playing it will repeat. Then if I walk in to a different shop the song may change and repeat. if my mobile rings it can repeat.

all of this started nearly four years ago when I stopped taking a beta blocker medication and has been there ever since. I also have tinnitus. The music looping is causing me a lot of stress as sometimes I can’t function.

I have spoken to mental health who listen but do nothing and doctors have still not sent me to a neurologist.
    the only help I have had is my tinnitus got checked and I was given a tinnitus maskers. My partner has noticed I move my legs at night so I am not sure if it’s just that. I also discovered that I had undiagnosed adhd so now I have that treated doctors have even blamed my stimulant and I only started that two years later. I have disturbed sleep from the beta blocker.

Thanks for any advice

Re: Music from environment looping

Quote Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post
    Hello

I don’t know where to post this as I am not sure what’s going on with me. Have any of you who have anxiety ever had every music sound in your environment repeat in your head none stop. I know it’s normal to get a song stuck but this Is different. For an example if I walk in to a shop and a song is playing it will repeat. Then if I walk in to a different shop the song may change and repeat. if my mobile rings it can repeat.

all of this started nearly four years ago when I stopped taking a beta blocker medication and has been there ever since. I also have tinnitus. The music looping is causing me a lot of stress as sometimes I can’t function.

I have spoken to mental health who listen but do nothing and doctors have still not sent me to a neurologist.
    the only help I have had is my tinnitus got checked and I was given a tinnitus maskers. My partner has noticed I move my legs at night so I am not sure if it’s just that. I also discovered that I had undiagnosed adhd so now I have that treated doctors have even blamed my stimulant and I only started that two years later. I have disturbed sleep from the beta blocker.

Thanks for any advice
    Out of interest, are the songs you hear playing in the shops songs you particularly dislike, or are they just any old random song?

I sometimes get that, especially with familiar songs. It's a phenomenon called 'Musical Ear Syndrome', but luckily it doesn't cause me major anxiety, unless it's (familiar) songs that I can't stand, or songs that remind me of past negative events.

Thank you for your reply it’s just any songs that repeat. I actually love music I am sure it’s my sleep the strange thing is the other week I was mixing my music and them songs never looped. Today I woke up hyper and excited so that is a good sign I might be ok. If I have a bad day my memory is affected but on a very good day it’s not. I can’t plan anything as I don’t know how I am going to be. People who have adhd have music loops but it never bothers them this is different.

Last night (or probably more like early this morning) I was dreaming about being at someone's house and hearing a foghorning sound coming from their CH boiler or F&E tank, and still heard said sound looping in my head for about 15 minutes after I first woke up this morning.

Nothing mega serious, but it did make me have flashbacks to the respite unit I used to stay at in the early 90s when I was about 13, which had a foghorning boiler or F&E tank, albeit only periodically at random times throughout the day, and thankfully never heard in any of the bedrooms with the door closed.

I had Paloma Faith's Make Your Own Kind of Music looping in my head at 4am this morning until 6.30 am...

The environmental stuff has eased up since I've gorn death in one ear. If I sleep on my good ear then it's ok. If I sleep on my bad ear then I can hear literally everything because my good ear is compensating for the deaf one. I can hear electricity (mind you, I've always been able to hear that) and everything else, including my husband's snores, grunts, and the flappy thing he does with his lips..

All this, and Paloma Faith giving it some ON REPEAT in my brain. GRRRRR!!!!

One thing I will say about music and anxiety is don't listen to something you really like if you're needing to be in a calm and relaxed (as much as we can be) state. I was searching YouTube this morning before getting up. I found a young man and woman called 'Fleesh' who do cover versions of various rock bands. I listened to some Marillion covers and they're really very good. The problem is Marillion and in particular Fish Marillion are my all time favourite band, they bring back all sorts of happy memories and I can get quite emotional.

Of course emotions can trigger physical symptoms that mimic anxiety. Which is what happened so not a good start to the day.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    One thing I will say about music and anxiety is don't listen to something you really like if you're needing to be in a calm and relaxed (as much as we can be) state. I was searching YouTube this morning before getting up. I found a young man and woman called 'Fleesh' who do cover versions of various rock bands. I listened to some Marillion covers and they're really very good. The problem is Marillion and in particular Fish Marillion are my all time favourite band, they bring back all sorts of happy memories and I can get quite emotional.

Of course emotions can trigger physical symptoms that mimic anxiety. Which is what happened so not a good start to the day.
    Yes, Marillion's earlier albums are excellent, especially the timeless classic 'Misplaced Childhood' from 1985.

Later albums (post-'Season's End', which was their last 'decent' album IMO, and incidentally their first without Fish) I think are a total borefest (no offence intended).

ATM I have Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' looping in my head, which is currently destined for Number 1 in the UK Singles Charts this weekend.

Currently at Number 2, which has already bettered it's original Number 3 placement in 1985!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

ATM I have Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' looping in my head, which is currently destined for Number 1 in the UK Singles Charts this weekend.

Currently at Number 2, which has already bettered it's original Number 3 placement in 1985!
    Kate Bush? Be still my beating heart. The woman's a fox..

Ever heard The Ninth Wave? It's amazing. Still gives me chills..

I believe KB owes this latest chart success to the Netflix series, Stranger Things?

My first BF bought me A Script for a Jester's Tear for my birthday after I said I liked Garden Party. Brilliant album..

Fish for me too...

Lenco and Nora, little did I know I had two fellow Marillion fans here on NMP.

I agree the Fish Marillion is the definitive. Those vocals, the lyrics and the stage presence were pivotal in creating that early sound. Misplaced too is my favourite album, though Clutching at Straws runs it close. The CAS period also produced a superb B-side 'Going Under'. Listening to Fish's lyrics on the album, you can hear the signs that all was not well in the band. 'And if my owners let me, have some free time someday, with all good intentions, I would probably run away'.

I saw them live four times. De Montfort Hall Leicester in March 1984, Monsters of Rock Donnington Park August 1985, Birmingham NEC December 1985, Welcome to the Garden Party, Milton Keynes Bowl July 1986. Then saw Fish solo at Aylesbury Civic Centre July 1990.

Steve Hogarth had a hard act to follow IMO. And I think he's a decent vocalist, a very similar voice to Peter Gabriel. They had their moments post Fish. Easter is a brilliant track, Steve Rothery's guitar is never better. Cover My Eyes, Dry Land, No One Can, Beautiful, Gazpacho are all great songs. Then there's the 'Brave' album. Its a monumental work that contains the section 'The Great Escape'. Its a section rather than a stand alone track, Brave being that outdated name a 'concept album'. But 'The Great Escape' rips your heart out, its up there with anything the band ever did, telling the story of a suicidal young woman.

However the band ran out of steam eventually. 'Marbles' from 2004 is an album I just can't get into. Fish has his moments too post-Marillion, 'Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors' his first and probably best solo album. Musical differences was the official reason he left, though he's since revealed he wanted out because the band had become too big and he'd lost control of his own destiny.

I couldn't get "Running Up That Hill" out of my head when I was on the labour ward and in absolute agony in Nov 1985!!! Sorry Nora but I hate that song with a vengeance and have never been able to listen to it since..Can't believe it's been resurrected...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information