Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Music from environment looping

Re: Music from environment looping

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Steve Hogarth had a hard act to follow IMO.
    Indeed. Some lead singers have too bigger size of boot, eh?

Some bands have had some luck though, like AC/DC. Bon was my personal favourite. He had the voice and the look but Brian's voice was (is) awesome. He might look like one of my husband's bowling mates but the dude can screech!

Another lead change fail? Van Halen. Though Van Halen was always Eddie for me anyway. I thought David Le Roth was a bit of a div..

I watched Queen perform at the Queen's thingy the other week and Adam Lambert does a decent job but he's no Freddie Mercury. I think John Deacon had the right idea. For him, Queen died with Freddie..

Back to Fish...

One of my favourite Marillion songs is Sugar Mice and I love the live version even more..(Thieving Magpie album I think it was?)

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I couldn't get "Running Up That Hill" out of my head when I was on the labour ward and in absolute agony in Nov 1985!!! Sorry Nora but I hate that song with a vengeance and have never been able to listen to it since..Can't believe it's been resurrected...
    The one I remember hearing when I was in agony giving birth to my eldest is George Michael's Father Figure..

I'm chuffed that Kate's having some unexpected chart success. She's so lovely and her music has helped to keep me on this planet, and from the first time I heard her calling out for Heathcliff! (1978)

I think I need to play me some Ninth Wave while staring at her lovely face in my massive book, Under The Ivy. (I sound like a massive stalker weirdo but I don't care)

Am I right in thinking that she suffers from agoraphobia?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    The one I remember hearing when I was in agony giving birth to my eldest is George Michael's Father Figure..

I'm chuffed that Kate's having some unexpected chart success. She's so lovely and her music has helped to keep me on this planet, and from the first time I heard her calling out for Heathcliff! (1978)

I think I need to play me some Ninth Wave while staring at her lovely face in my massive book, Under The Ivy. (I sound like a massive stalker weirdo but I don't care)
    I remember you mentioned in one of my threads last year (I think) about you recording 'Wuthering Heights' off the radio onto your portable cassette recorder (via the built-in mic) when it was in the charts back in the late 70s, with the sound of the toilet being flushed and your mom calling you downstairs for your dinner infiltrating the recording!

However, KB for me has always been one of many artists who I generally can take or leave, in the sense that I have never been a real fan, but don't necessarily dislike, and 'RUTH' has always been a number of hers that's always resonated with me in a good way (sorry Pulisa).

As far as its current high chart placement owing to its mammoth reappraisal due to being featured in 'Stranger Things' (which I have never even watched BTW) is concerned, it does seem uncannily incongruous with the rest of the charts right now, but in a good way IMO!

I know that she struggled massively with the death of her close friend in the 90s. She's an incredibly private person by nature and the fact that she's so 'un-celebrity' is one of the reasons I like her so much..

She's clearly had some MH issues and a breakdown/burnout of some kind which meant that she was unable to write music and perform. Then she had her son, Bertie, and this changed everything for her. Ariel was her comeback album after about 12 years away from the business and you can tell how much of an inspiration her son was to her in certain songs on the album. His voice is also on some tracks. It's also this album where Kate addresses the loss of her mother in a beautiful song called The Coral Room. This song stepped up several emotional levels when my mum died and I remember sitting on the floor listening to it on repeat, bawling my eyes out..

Kate's got an ethereal/mystical air about her which I really like. Unsurprisingly, this is also one of the reasons I like Stevie Nicks..

I think I'll play Ariel today, I've inspired myself.

Another stand out track for me (on a different album) is Among Angels. Chills me, as in, it makes the hairs on my arms (and chest) stand up..

I can see angels around you.
    They shimmer like mirrors in Summer.
    There's someone who's loved you forever but you don't know it.

Awww Kate...

Unsurprisingly, this is also one of the reasons I like Stevie Nicks..
    Fleetwood Mac are another act that fall into the 'take or leave' category for me.

While the stuff from the evergreen 'Rumours' is a bit overplayed to death and various other material of theirs I find a bit 'meh', I really love the track 'Everywhere' that was a big hit back in spring 1988, and from their 1987 album 'Tango In The Night'.

'Everywhere' has similar vibes to 'RUTH' (obviously being from more or less the same era, in spite of a 2-3 year gap), but quite a few people actually dislike that particular era of the Mac, as they believe they had become too 'poppy' and trying too much to do the 'selling out' thing typical of the mid to late 80s era, of which other big-name acts whose careers spanned multiple decades were also heavily lambasted for around that time by many die-hard fans.

Well Kate has finally done it with the epic that is 'RUTH', after 37 long years.

Got to be one of the longest-ever gaps between Number 1 hit singles by a given solo artist; 44 years between 'Wuthering Heights' in 1978 and 'RUTH' in 2022, despite the latter actually being a golden oldie from 1985 that peaked at Number 3 on its original release and chart run back then.

Pretty amazing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Well Kate has finally done it with the epic that is 'RUTH', after 37 long years.

Got to be one of the longest-ever gaps between Number 1 hit singles by a given solo artist; 44 years between 'Wuthering Heights' in 1978 and 'RUTH' in 2022, despite the latter actually being a golden oldie from 1985 that peaked at Number 3 on its original release and chart run back then.

Pretty amazing stuff!
    It's the mark of a great song that it can resonate with a young generation almost four decades on. Kate wrote and produced the song and at the time NME ranked it at number 3 in the tracks of 1985. The woman is incredibly talented..

I'm so happy for her..

It's the mark of a great song that it can resonate with a young generation almost four decades on. Kate wrote and produced the song and at the time NME ranked it at number 3 in the tracks of 1985. The woman is incredibly talented..

I'm so happy for her..
    Yeah, showing what REAL music is!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Yeah, showing what REAL music is!
    I'm trying not to be an old git when it comes to commenting on some of the utter shite that's in the charts today but yeah, I agree with you. This is real music...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information