Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music from environment looping

Re: Music from environment looping

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Last night (or probably more like early this morning) I was dreaming about being at someone's house and hearing a foghorning sound coming from their CH boiler or F&E tank, and still heard said sound looping in my head for about 15 minutes after I first woke up this morning.

Nothing mega serious, but it did make me have flashbacks to the respite unit I used to stay at in the early 90s when I was about 13, which had a foghorning boiler or F&E tank, albeit only periodically at random times throughout the day, and thankfully never heard in any of the bedrooms with the door closed.
    While not necessarily musical looping-related in this particular instance, I had a dream last night about the (clients') toilet on the ground floor at that respite unit back in the very early 90s, which was not only directly next door to the plant room which the boiler and its associated equipment was installed (and hearing the periodical foghorning noise quite loud in that particular toilet being in the adjoining room), there were ghoulish-looking valves installed on the fully-exposed pipework in there too, which also creeped me out.

I even vividly remember the plasticky smell of the non-slip flooring in that toilet room (the stuff that has those silver glittery bits embossed on it). I really hated that particular toilet.

Luckily there were other toilets (and bathrooms) for client use upstairs in the building that I was also able to use, in whose rooms with the doors closed you couldn't hear that foghorning noise whenever it was going, though I still heard it resonating through the pipes under the floorboards in the corridor upstairs just above where the boiler room (downstairs) was. I used to use the upstairs toilet/bathroom located the farthest away from that spot with the foghorning noise, as it really used to freak me out.

I recall one evening whilst eating our evening meal in the dining area of the upstairs lounge (where us more able clients tended to eat our meals, and the less-able clients are their meals in the main dining room downstairs), I had heard said foghorning sound when I walked past the spot to go to the toilet and wash my hands just before dinner, and while I was eating I could hear that din endlessly looping in my head, despite the fact that the dining area of the upstairs lounge was right up the opposite end of the building and well away from the offending sound.

All the staff there seemed totally indifferent to that sound, even the nicer staff members, who fortunately outnumbered the stroppy, power-mad ones, of which there were only about 2 of. And they both told me to 'stop being silly' and to 'pull yourself together 'cause you're 13' when I panicked about that noise!

I still get panic attacks whenever I hear similar sounds today, especially if they're in a similar musical key; in the range of B to C.

On the flip side, it does seem that there's a much greater awareness and understanding of plumbing-related deficiencies nowadays (and the problems they can cause if unattended to), compared to back then.

But I'm still feeling a bit anxious and having panic attacks this morning after that dream. Me boring you all to death with this story has partly helped me to relieve my attendant stress.

Me boring you all to death with this story has partly helped me to relieve my attendant stress.
    Not remotely bored. It's quite comforting to know that other people experience similar things to me. I remember all the smells from school and vividly and all the noises including the creaking of floorboards and tapping in the pipes. These things are what I remember above most everything else (except history and art as I was able to override the sensory stuff somewhat because I was interested in these subjects and my history teacher (also the female Deputy Head teacher) was someone I trusted and felt safe with..

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Not remotely bored. It's quite comforting to know that other people experience similar things to me. I remember all the smells from school and vividly and all the noises including the creaking of floorboards and tapping in the pipes. These things are what I remember above most everything else (except history and art as I was able to override the sensory stuff somewhat because I was interested in these subjects and my history teacher (also the female Deputy Head teacher) was someone I trusted and felt safe with..
    Ta very much Nora.

I bet many of the staff at your school (apart from those you mentioned who you confided in) didn't really give a sh1te about issues with the plumbing and other 'deficiencies' with the fabric of the school building, as not only was it probably beyond their personal technical comprehension, but also 'not their problem', as there were (and still are) specifically-named personnel within the local (education) authority that had to deal with it, and whenever it suited them, of course!

Ta very much Nora.

I bet many of the staff at your school (apart from those you mentioned who you confided in) didn't really give a sh1te about issues with the plumbing and other 'deficiencies' with the fabric of the school building, as not only was it probably beyond their personal technical comprehension, but also 'not their problem', as there were (and still are) specifically-named personnel within the local (education) authority that had to deal with it, and whenever it suited them, of course!
    I felt safe with her because she tolerated zero shit in her class, so there was no bullying in history lessons as opposed to most other lessons where the teachers either didn't give a crap what was happening or they were bullies themselves...

I felt safe with her because she tolerated zero shit in her class, so there was no bullying in history lessons as opposed to most other lessons where the teachers either didn't give a crap what was happening or they were bullies themselves...
    Sounds like she was an absolute angel, Nora.

Shame about the other wastes of space who seemingly sided with the bullies or were even sadist bullies themselves.

Anyone with such an attitude isn't even a 'teacher' as far as I'm concerned, just nothing but a gutless to55er!

Sounds like she was an absolute angel, Nora.
    She didn't look (or sound) like an angel lol. But she took no shit from anybody in her classroom and I felt safe around her. She was also kind to me when I ended up in her office for fighting back (after 4 years of being bullied).

Shame about the other wastes of space who seemingly sided with the bullies or were even sadist bullies themselves.
    There were many teachers who appeared to enjoy 'disciplining' children. I presumed that being a school teacher meant that they liked children. How naive I was!

Anyone with such an attitude isn't even a 'teacher' as far as I'm concerned, just nothing but a gutless to55er!
    I think there are were two types of teachers in my day, and those of earlier generations. Those who genuinely liked children and wanted to help them be the best that they can be, and the other type was a bully/abuser who chose the profession because this gave them access to vulnerable humans who they could belittle and abuse in order to make them feel powerful when in reality they were cowards...

I think there are were two types of teachers in my day, and those of earlier generations. Those who genuinely liked children and wanted to help them be the best that they can be, and the other type was a bully/abuser who chose the profession because this gave them access to vulnerable humans who they could belittle and abuse in order to make them feel powerful when in reality they were cowards...
    I guess the same can also be said for other professions/organisations such as the Police, Social Services, NHS, etc.

This morning I woke up to the 'wailing cat' sound effect on the intro to the Prodigy song 'Firestarter' looping in my head.

That sound has always jarred on me (sorry fans of that song).

I guess the same can also be said for other professions/organisations such as the Police, Social Services, NHS, etc.
    Absolutely.

I've come to realise that having the job title of 'carer' (or any job which requires care) doesn't mean that the individual is a caring person. There are a lot of abusers in positions of care and I think it's astounding at how easy it is for people to get jobs 'caring' for vulnerable people!

This morning I woke up to the 'wailing cat' sound effect on the intro to the Prodigy song 'Firestarter' looping in my head.

That sound has always jarred on me (sorry fans of that song).
    I love the Prodigy!

I'm the self-inflicted mind detonator..

Apt lyric for HAers...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information