Thread: Tap Water Anxiety

Tap Water Anxiety

So I am in a hotel in Chicago…. Last night whenever I was brushing my teeth I had water cusped in my hand. I went to swish it around in my mouth and for some reason I accidentally breathed some of it through my nose. My brain automatically assumed I got that brain eating parasite. Is that even scientifically possible? Essentially snorted some tap water and now I am counting down my days

Re: Tap Water Anxiety

Don't worry about it. Chances are the hotel uses city water, which is heavily treated before it gets into the supply. It is likely that if there are any brain-eating amoebas in it, they're dead by time the water reaches the hotel. So, you can breathe a sigh of relief and look forward to living your life.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat83 View Post
    Don't worry about it. Chances are the hotel uses city water, which is heavily treated before it gets into the supply. It is likely that if there are any brain-eating amoebas in it, they're dead by time the water reaches the hotel. So, you can breathe a sigh of relief and look forward to living your life.
    Thank you! Appreciate the reassurance. Yeah, I mean I am literally in downtown Chicago and you can tell it is city water/heavily treated. Also been trying to tell myself millions (maybe even billions) of people probably water up their noses every year and there are maybe 10 cases of this a year if not less…

You're welcome! I've had this fear earlier in the year, so I know how you feel! After some research and reassurance, I've decided to help others through their N.fowleri fears.

Thread Information