Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lexapro-nausea+appetite, plus TCA

Re: Lexapro-nausea+appetite, plus TCA

Quote Originally Posted by Librella View Post
    I think I will tell my psychiatrist I want to try something else but now I'm worried about the effects of switching.
    Maybe a switch to citalopram would help. Although it has the same active drug as escitalopram it also contains a mostly inactive mirror isomer of it which can sometimes produce different side-effects than escitalopram.

My psych did say there were many ssris to try.
    my aunt takes prozac so I dont know if that could hint at a genetic lead.for tolerating it better.

I do think it’s helped with my panic somewhat. I have a lot of obsessive thoughts but without the feeling I’m going to have a heart attack like usual.

My psych did say there were many ssris to try.
    Yes, and TCAs, MAOIs and a couple in categories of their own. Plus, therapy can be just as effective too.

my aunt takes prozac so I dont know if that could hint at a genetic lead.for tolerating it better.
    It may do. Of the main SSRIs fluoxetine (Prozac) would be my pick if you need to switch from escitalopram. Sertraline (Zoloft) tends to impact the gut more than the others, although it may not for you despite your experience with escitalopram. Paroxetine (Paxil) has a short half-life and no active metabolite to extend its activity which can make quitting it difficult for some and fluvoxamine (Luvox) interacts with many other medications which might affect how other conditions are treated. That said, it is the SSRI of choice for OCD spectrum disorders, though I think the TCA clomipramine (Anafranil) should be tried first.

I do think it’s helped with my panic somewhat. I have a lot of obsessive thoughts but without the feeling I’m going to have a heart attack like usual.
    Then I'd try and stick with escitalopram, or citalopram, a little longer and treat the side-effects. Side-effects tend to ease as the AD begins to have an effect so the stomach issue could begin to diminish within a few days.

I’m currently tapering down to 5 mg for a week then stopping. I started having sudden episodes of severe abdominal pain and diarrhea, more and more often the past 2 weeks and my dr advised me to stop. I don’t even know if its the lexapro since it’s worse than ever back on 5, but my health anxiety is going mad thinking I have organ failure.

I don’t even know if its the lexapro since it’s worse than ever back on 5
    It may, or may not be. Stopping is the only way to find out. It takes 8 days for escitalopram plasma levels to stabilise after a dose change, or for the med to clear your system after the last dose.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    It may, or may not be. Stopping is the only way to find out. It takes 8 days for escitalopram plasma levels to stabilise after a dose change, or for the med to clear your system after the last dose.
    yes, my dr just told me to wait a week.
    You could give me psychiatrist a run for their money, I wish doctors were this forthright with information

I wish doctors were this forthright with information
    Me too. If doctors took an extra 5 minutes to explain what to expect from meds, how long ADs take to work, what the potential side-effects can be and what to do about them if they occur, it would make a huge difference. Unfortunately, all too often they say nothing, or worse, dismiss the possibility of problems occurring, leaving the patient unprepared for the reality of life on these meds especially in the first few weeks. Their patients would be much more likely to stay on the meds and support groups would be far quieter. Maybe we should send them a bill for doing their job for them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information