Thread: Advice for staying calm while sick with COVID

Question Advice for staying calm while sick with COVID

Hi all,

I don't post often but get much reassurance from reading your questions and advice to each other. I have mild asthma and am 44 years old and just tested positive this morning after a sore throat for two days. So far have had body aches, headaches, stuffy nose, and last night cough and difficulty catching my breath at times kept me up. I tested negative on Saturday but knew it could be a few days after symptoms start so tested again today. And then promptly panicked and felt like I couldn't breathe. I could breathe though. I have called my dr and asked for a prescription for a maintenance inhaler and possibly anti virals if I qualify. I can't talk now and when I try it just brings on a painful coughing fit and find it is hard to catch my breath at those times as it feels like I am choking. I am truly not sure how much of that sensation is physical and how much is my emotion. But wondering from those who are prone to panic on here and have made it through COVID, any advice or tricks when you are feeling so bad and worried you might be low on oxygen but also knowing you are vaccinated and have only mild asthma so are probably fine. the congestion in my throat makes me feel like it's so clogged that not enough air is gong through during the coughing fits. I especially fear the night time when the dr and urgent cares are closed and my symptoms are at their worst. Thanks for any advice This site has been my go to whenever I get the urge to use dr google.

Re: Advice for staying calm while sick with COVID

I've had it twice now, keep hydrated, make sure you have plenty of paracetamol and do things that keep your mind busy.

Thanks for the reply! Feeling much better today after my antivirals. Just one day left. Hoping to test negative soon and rejoin world.

Quote Originally Posted by RunsFromBugs View Post
    Hi all,

I don't post often but get much reassurance from reading your questions and advice to each other. I have mild asthma and am 44 years old and just tested positive this morning after a sore throat for two days. So far have had body aches, headaches, stuffy nose, and last night cough and difficulty catching my breath at times kept me up. I tested negative on Saturday but knew it could be a few days after symptoms start so tested again today. And then promptly panicked and felt like I couldn't breathe. I could breathe though. I have called my dr and asked for a prescription for a maintenance inhaler and possibly anti virals if I qualify. I can't talk now and when I try it just brings on a painful coughing fit and find it is hard to catch my breath at those times as it feels like I am choking. I am truly not sure how much of that sensation is physical and how much is my emotion. But wondering from those who are prone to panic on here and have made it through COVID, any advice or tricks when you are feeling so bad and worried you might be low on oxygen but also knowing you are vaccinated and have only mild asthma so are probably fine. the congestion in my throat makes me feel like it's so clogged that not enough air is gong through during the coughing fits. I especially fear the night time when the dr and urgent cares are closed and my symptoms are at their worst. Thanks for any advice This site has been my go to whenever I get the urge to use dr google.
    I invested in a pulse oximiter at the start of covid it’s great for an at home instant check on your oxygen levels 😊

Thread Information