Thread: Intrusive Thoughts/Images.

Intrusive Thoughts/Images.

Hello,

I have Anxiety, panic attacks and complex PTSD stemming from childhood abuse. I’m trying to heal but I’m having some heightened anxiety at the moment, it was expected, but one thing that is really causing me distress is intrusive images.

It’s not thoughts as much as peoples faces, actors that I’ve seen in films or TV shows, recently and years ago! When one pops in to my head, It’s there all the time, constant and feels like it’s blocking my view. Pulling me in to my mind.

Is this an OCD symptom or am I finally just losing my mind. They’re not scary or disgusting images more just an image of a persons face. But they just won’t go and I feel like I am slipping down the psychotic route.

Is this something anyone has experienced before? Any tips on how to keep calm and carry on?

Thank you.

Hannah.

Re: Intrusive Thoughts/Images.

This sounds like me and my OCD (checking aside)

I have images or dialogue going on in my head at any time.

Distraction helps..

Thank you for your reply NoraB. I’m sorry you are experiencing the same.

Is this a typical symptom of OCD? And do you have any tips for distraction techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahlob84 View Post
    Thank you for your reply NoraB. I’m sorry you are experiencing the same.
    Somewhat life-long issue for me, Hannah.

I have checking issues (fire & burglary), harm OCD and occasionally I've had issues with contamination though these have generally coincided with pregnancy with me..

Distraction for me works better when I'm out in nature, like walking or gardening. I love music too but sometimes that's not the best distraction for me as I get stuck with looping lyrics, but I've had some success listening to classical & choral music as opposed to the kind of music that I love (heavy rock, punk and indie)..

We're all different and what works for one might not work for another so it's a case of knowing your triggers and working out what works for you...

I'm currently going through a long bout with regularly episodes of intrusive thoughts. Even when I sleep. In my sleep these stories playout like random split scenes from a movie to which I have no idea of the title, plot or genre. It's like I am hovering around each persons perspective, feeling all the pent-up emotions as experienced by each character whom are responding to all manner of traumatic events. Basically, during the day I have intrusive thoughts about me negatively impacting others and during the night I have unsettling dreams where I feel the abuse of others. It's not quite as black and white as that but for the most part it's all very unsettling.

It's like the severity of my latest depressive bout has lead to a constant stream of negative thoughts. I've been living this way for quite some time now. Whilst it's been more an episodic cycle in the past, lately its been full on and like you it also worries me.

What to do?

For me ... I would do well to focus on things that lift me up instead of down. Even just the little things can make a big difference. When watching drama on TV I attempt to look for shows that add something of worth to my day. It can be a huge effort sifting among so much shallowness & negativity but well worth it to find something inspiring.

On another front, I am currently trying watch what I eat. (On Day 14) - That solution has not been easy and in fact probably why I am dealing with so much inner conflict. That said, It's good that I can acknowledge that fact as reason why I have been so unsettled.

I guess my advice would be, that when your feeling these bouts - consider avoiding stressful situations while making some kind of concerted effort in finding the source of said projections taking place in your head. The gist of the source for me at this stage is eating clean with a long bout of depression living in a world I cannot change.

Consider asking yourself if you have something else going on in your life / day to day or if you have been putting up with something that you would rather not. You might also do well to plan ahead before engaging with others and or before going out in public. Doing so often allows me the space I need to chip away at the source until such a point I am more grounded and more able to accept what is.

Try not to reflect off others. There is a lot of negativity out in the world and when we are feeling down it's easy to get caught up in our own heads as well as others.

I wish I could give you better answers or even just one answer that rings well enough.

I'll just say I hear ya loud and clear and wish you all the best.
    Last edited by Ponder; 11-06-22 at 03:29.

Thread Information