Thread: Sudden bulging vein behind knee...DVT fears!!

Sudden bulging vein behind knee...DVT fears!!

I looked down today and in a corner at the back of my knee there is a small spot of blue-green veins suddenly bulging out. I'm scared of DVT. I lead an extremely inactive lifestyle and I spend hours and hours sitting cross-legged on my bed. I had a DVT scare several months ago due to a red mark but an Ultrasound ruled it out. Since then I have been trying to exercise more. But now I have an actual vein bulging out! It nearly looks like all the pictures of DVT on Google Images!!!! I'm really scared....

Re: Sudden bulging vein behind knee...DVT fears!!

It's probably a varicose vein and nothing to worry about.
    Stop googling and get your Dr to check it out.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon123 View Post
    I looked down today and in a corner at the back of my knee there is a small spot of blue-green veins suddenly bulging out. I'm scared of DVT. I lead an extremely inactive lifestyle and I spend hours and hours sitting cross-legged on my bed. I had a DVT scare several months ago due to a red mark but an Ultrasound ruled it out. Since then I have been trying to exercise more. But now I have an actual vein bulging out! It nearly looks like all the pictures of DVT on Google Images!!!! I'm really scared....
    I have a varicose at the back of my knee and it plays up if I sit on the floor and kneel back on my legs. It's sore for a couple of days but I elevate my legs and then it's ok again. Try to avoid sitting cross-legged.

DVT = Deep Vein Thrombosis, I think this means that the clot is deep inside the leg and not on the surface? I’m not being sarcastic, I just don’t think a clot would be obvious from a vein on the surface?
    My dad had two clots in the one leg a couple of years back, and what you are describing is certainly not a symptom he reported.

What silver_shoes said. DVT concerns the veins deep in your leg that you can't see. This sounds like a varicose vein, of which I have many, especially on the back of my legs/knees.

I am not sure how old you are Sharon, but as you age, you'll start to get vericose veins, I am almost 50 and man do I have them, no clots here.

Thread Information