Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blood in stool and anemia....

Re: Blood in stool and anemia....

Quote Originally Posted by Jem1603 View Post
    They took routine biopsies which of course will trigger my HA
    Just to ease your mind, they will basically always do this, there are conditions like microscopic colitis that can only be detected (even when severe symptoms are present, like pure water pouring out of your butt for months) when observed under a microscope. Microscopic colitis isn't the only one, either, there are several and all of them are easily treatable and no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem1603 View Post
    tablets.
    Finally, I think blood in the stool is a symptom of C, and that's why everyone panics but also weight loss, change in bowel habits etc have to be considered.
    Glad you've had your procedure done and all is well. You did it without sedation too? Skills! (however, nobody will be going rooting through my colon without me being sedated)

Yes, blood in poo can be a symptom of cancer. As can weight loss and a change in bowel habits but even with these symptoms combined it's still more likely to be something other than cancer, and it's most commonly IBS..

Bottom (sorry) line is that it's rarely cancer but we should always get these things checked out, and once we get the all clear on the diseases we can give our full attention to this life affecting condition and work on ways to help ourselves..

IBS is indeed a tricky beast but it can be tamed. My latest experiment is to take 25 ml of Aloe Vera every day and so far I haven't needed my kiwi fruit for constipation.

I've also heard that Manuka honey is good for IBS too. I have some of that coming today (to help with my sore gob) so maybe that will help with the IBS too? It worked wonders on the pooch's kennel cough.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    Thanks for posting this update. I have followed this thread and often thought of you. You have been through so much stress waiting for these tests. It doesn’t sound like the docs have any real answers for the anemia, but now they can treat it. It sounds like you also need to treat the constipation. IBS sure is a tricky little beast!
    Thanks Reddog - it's good to know some people might get something out of this. If you have iron deficiency anemia - try not to assume the worse - try and read your body and look for other things. It's so difficult with HA to be rational, we just live from day to day with waves of panic.

Glad you've had your procedure done and all is well. You did it without sedation too? Skills! (however, nobody will be going rooting through my colon without me being sedated)

I wouldn't recommend it Nora - but I'm a bit punk like that!

Thanks for your support. I'm still having HA but trying to focus on getting well and eating well. x

https://www.spatone.com/en-gb/

Spatone is a gentle iron supplement which doesn't have so many gut side effects as the bog standard supplements.

Really pleased that you had such a reassuring outcome to your colonoscopy and endoscopy. I'd really recommend you finding an alternative to codeine for pain relief though. Long term opiates don't do you any favours especially with chronic pain management.

When having the initial telephone appt - the consultant suggested further blood tests. He said there was no rush but should I go ahead and have these?

I'm already anxious about biopsies?

Thanks Pulisa - I'll look into it. I wanted to speak to my GP about codeine anyway. My hip consultant said tramadol - but isnt that more addictive?

I suppose it depends on how much pain you are actually in? It's another opioid so you will still get side effects including constipation. Are you waiting for a hip replacement?

Why was he suggesting further blood tests?

Blood tests for haematinics and immunogloblins? that was before I had the procedures as well. To be honest, I think I have been anemic most of my life. It was first diagnosed when I was 19 and I was under the hospital for a year - they put it down to heavy periods. But for the last ten years I've had breathlessness, high pulse rate etc..

Yes I'm waiting for hip replacement, I feel like everything else is holding it up. I want to get off opiates so I don't seen how tramadol will help but I will ask my GP next week. My bowel movements are normal now, I'm eating lots of fibre and take senokat everyday. My appetite is better and the iron is making me feel better.

Thanks for responding Pulisa. x

There's a lot of information out there from pain management consultants regarding long term use of opiates and how the side effects outweigh the benefits so not sure why tramadol was suggested?

Has a haematology referral been discussed re the anaemia investigations? I suppose you would need to get this sorted before your hip op?

Glad you are feeling better...and that you are getting good results from the senna xx

Yes, I've read the same kind of articles - but they are really hard to come off. I will have to taper or replace with something else for the short term.

Re the blood tests - I remember him saying that the endoscopy was gold standard etc...and they would do some blood tests aswell. He said there was no rush and didnt explain why.

My hip consultant said they do their own blood tests - I'm going to call them next week and chase that up. I feel like my whole summer is just going to be tests and waiting!

So sick of it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information