Hey All,

Just wondered if anyone could advise.

I finally decided to take the plunge and see a psychotherapist. Absolutely lovely lady, very warm and caring.

After 6 sessions, it dawned on me that each session is nothing more than a chat about how I feel. She's interested in the inner child focus, so quite often asks if something 'reminds me of anything.' On some occasions, the answer is yes. It's quite extraordinary to take myself back to the time that I felt an emotion.

While this is very inspiring, it doesn't offer a 'solution' to change the pattern of thinking. Each session, I keep thinking she'll introduce a goal-orientated practice but there has been no mention of it. I come out feeling like I've just opened up to a mate but besides that, there is no working progress, so to speak.

Learning about past triggers is wonderfully eye opening, but I feel that it requires the assistance of a working solution. I'm starting to wonder if this is deemed 'normal.' You can see a less-qualified counsellor for half the price and they simply sit and listen. A psychotherapist should do more, should they not?

I have recently asked if we can have fewer sessions as I don't feel the need for once a week. She said she doesn't offer once a month or similar. Seems a bit unfair when it should address the needs of a client but I'm sure its to do with 'not seeing progress less than weekly' or something equally obvious.

I can't justify paying out £200 a month alongside a pricey PR launch I'm paying for, so I'm going to have to abandon. She wants to see me for a 'closing session'.

Any idea what that's about?

Does this all sound common to you?