Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strong back pain and fluttering in rib cage- heart attack?

Strong back pain and fluttering in rib cage- heart attack?

For two days I've had a strong back pain on the left side. It's much worse when I sleep, it woke me up last night. And I woke up with fluttering in a rib cage. I am so scared. My mind tells me it must be something muscular because it worsens when I move my hand or lie down but my anxiety tells me it's over for me. And the pain is very annoying. Yesterday it stopped a few hours after waking up.

I work from home and I often work in bed with laptop so my posture is horrible. But I am still scared that is my heart, I am overweight and had high cholesterol last time I took the blood exam.

Re: Strong back pain and fluttering in rib cage- heart attack?

Costochondritis. I have it, it sucks but it's totally benign. It's exactly what you describe. Try pushing on your sternum and see if it hurts.

If you're concerned, I'd say see a doc but this sounds absolutely identical to my costo. Take some Ibuprofen and stretch.

Thanks. Back pain stopped again but it is really horrible when I try to sleep. Heart palpitations are still here occasionally.

It's not heart but my back pain is still worse when I lie down and it wokes me up, so i googled and I am terrified that I have cancer, pancreatiac or metastasis from somewhere because it says that it worsens at night. It began when I slept the whole day at Saturday because I was very tired and haven't had much sleep that week. I thought that I sprained some muscle but why would it subside during the day and worsen at night especially when I sleep longer?

If you have pulled or strained a muscle it can definitely feel worse after a period of inactivity. To be honest I would really avoid working in bed on your laptop, really look at the positions you work in. The Health and Safery executive over here has lots of advice on how to use display screen equipment, best position to work in etc. I would look into that and make some positive changes to the way I work.

It probably is from working but I never had such a pain at night. Thank you, I must change that. I also had a lot of stress lately and I am a mess right now, this is making me insane.

My pain localised under my arm, rib area and now I have a rash at exact same place. It hurts when I lie down and these days when I touch that area, it seems to me the skin itself is painful but also it seems like it's deeper and hurts when I move my arm. I really don't know anymore what this could be, google doesn't help.
    I am scared that it is some internal organ damage. But then it would be pain all day I guess, it wouldn't get worse when I am sleeping and woke up in the morning. I am going to the doctor on Monday. But I am scared.

Edit: I suspected that the rash is from diclofenac because I didn't use it before, but it's suspicious that is located at the same place where pain is.

Sounds like what my husband described when he had shingles..have you given that any thought? Maybe check with you doctor or pharmacist.

I thought so but it feels again more deep, in rib cage, I am worried now that it is bone cancer or metastasis because it's worse after sleeping. I will go to my doctor on Monday.

Omg, I shouldn't read about shingles, it says that you can develop encephalitis and that you have weakened immune system, I've read HIV and now I am concerned. But it could be shingles because it's very itchy, I don't know.

I've had a major stress before this and it could be shingles, yes. I am scared that the pain won't subside, I've read about postherpetic neuralgia.
    Last edited by darlene85; 19-06-22 at 02:29.

Darlene, you have to stop "reading" and just get your doctor to make the assessment tomorrow.

If in fact you do have a rash now it could well be shingles and it's important to get it properly diagnosed and treated. Deal with what you've got rather than what your HA is telling you you've got? You don't know what you've "got" ..if anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information