Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would stopping drinking alcohol or reduce the intake improve my anxiety?

Would stopping drinking alcohol or reduce the intake improve my anxiety?

I've noticed that, my anxiety getting worse at times may be the result of alcohol intake. I only not drink it on Monday and Tuesday but Wednesday to Sunday I do. I don't drink as much on the Wednesday but Thursday, Friday and the weekend, quite a bit. I do have to wonder, would my anxiety improve at all if I just cut alcohol out of my life or just reduce the intake? Thanks

Re: Would stopping drinking alcohol or reduce the intake improve my anxiety?

Personally, I do find that when I'm going through an anxious time alcohol definitely makes my anxiety worse. This happens both when I'm drinking it and the day after. I very rarely drink these days and to be honest I do feel much better without it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaleOn11 View Post
    I've noticed that, my anxiety getting worse at times may be the result of alcohol intake. I only not drink it on Monday and Tuesday but Wednesday to Sunday I do. I don't drink as much on the Wednesday but Thursday, Friday and the weekend, quite a bit. I do have to wonder, would my anxiety improve at all if I just cut alcohol out of my life or just reduce the intake? Thanks
    So you're drinking five days out of seven?

If you have an anxiety disorder you cannot drink this much and be Ok. I'm thinking (by experience) that you probably feel too shite to drink on Monday or Tuesday but you start to feel human again by Wednesday when your brain craves that initial sense of calm that we get from that first drink?

Alcohol is 'helpful' with anxiety for the first few seconds of chugging back some wine, beer - whatever - because the initial feeling of calm affects the brain but it is very short-lived and anxiety is a symptom of withdrawal. On Monday and Tuesday you are experiencing withdrawal and this is when anxiety is really going to bite you on the bum! So many people experience their first panic attack when hungover..

I had no choice in cutting out alcohol because I developed a problem with chemical sensitivity. It did me a favour though, and I don't miss those hangovers!

Fortunately alcohol has no effect on my anxiety but saying that when I do drink I will only have the one can or bottle….and I don’t mean vodka

if you have noticed a correlation with alcohol and anxiety spikes, you know your own answer. Cut it out and if you see a reduction in feeling anxy you know what you have to do. Then maybe keep drinking to small amounts are weekends. If that still spikes you then you may have to jump on the wagon.

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Fortunately alcohol has no effect on my anxiety but saying that when I do drink I will only have the one can or bottle….and I don’t mean vodka
    Mega pint?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    So you're drinking five days out of seven?

If you have an anxiety disorder you cannot drink this much and be Ok. I'm thinking (by experience) that you probably feel too shite to drink on Monday or Tuesday but you start to feel human again by Wednesday when your brain craves that initial sense of calm that we get from that first drink?

Alcohol is 'helpful' with anxiety for the first few seconds of chugging back some wine, beer - whatever - because the initial feeling of calm affects the brain but it is very short-lived and anxiety is a symptom of withdrawal. On Monday and Tuesday you are experiencing withdrawal and this is when anxiety is really going to bite you on the bum! So many people experience their first panic attack when hungover..

I had no choice in cutting out alcohol because I developed a problem with chemical sensitivity. It did me a favour though, and I don't miss those hangovers!
    Thanks NoraB.

How much do you suggest I reduce? My folks always want to drink on Fridays and the weekends. Would drinking only on those days help or does it need to be lower than that?

Thanks NoraB.

How much do you suggest I reduce? My folks always want to drink on Fridays and the weekends. Would drinking only on those days help or does it need to be lower than that?
    Everybody is different. Only you knows how alcohol affects your anxiety. If you're just having a glass (not a mega pint lol) then you'd probably be Ok. Chronic alcohol use changes the brain (amygdala) and how we respond to stress; this is why it's the massive trigger that it is. I would take it right down to one glass and see how that affects you at the time and the next day. If you feel fine and anxiety isn't an issue then you can try two glasses. Same again, see how you feel there and then and the next day. It's a faff but taking it slowly means that you will be aware of anxiety symptoms creeping up.. I'd also suggest taking a week of no alcohol to start from a baseline with no withdrawal symptoms..

I've commented many times through the years about alcohol and anxiety. Most of the replies were based on posts that described adverse effects from drinking so common sense prevails. If its making you feel like crap, then the answer is obvious. If you have an issue stopping at one or two, the answer is obvious. If you're on meds, the answer is very obvious as in most cases, alcohol and meds don't mix, psychotropics and otherwise. I enjoy a good brew or a couple of fingers of good bourbon now and again but due to the meds I take for my heart, I have to really limit myself. I admit I really do get the urge for one more at times but fortunately I have the will power to resist and besides, as I've gotten older, my body feels the effects of even a couple of drinks these days :(

All that said, IMO, alcohol and anxiety aren't a good combination and it's not a healthy mental road to take. Best to lay off for a bit and if you do resume, definitely limit your intake.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Everybody is different. Only you knows how alcohol affects your anxiety. If you're just having a glass (not a mega pint lol) then you'd probably be Ok. Chronic alcohol use changes the brain (amygdala) and how we respond to stress; this is why it's the massive trigger that it is. I would take it right down to one glass and see how that affects you at the time and the next day. If you feel fine and anxiety isn't an issue then you can try two glasses. Same again, see how you feel there and then and the next day. It's a faff but taking it slowly means that you will be aware of anxiety symptoms creeping up.. I'd also suggest taking a week of no alcohol to start from a baseline with no withdrawal symptoms..
    I mostly drink beer cans (bottles if at a restaurant or bar). How would I go about limiting that? I was thinking of pouring some out of a can in a glass.

I mostly drink beer cans (bottles if at a restaurant or bar). How would I go about limiting that? I was thinking of pouring some out of a can in a glass.
    How about alternating with alcohol free beer or a soft drink?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information