Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would stopping drinking alcohol or reduce the intake improve my anxiety?

Re: Would stopping drinking alcohol or reduce the intake improve my anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    How about alternating with alcohol free beer or a soft drink?
    As in Coca Cola soft drink? That stuff makes me jittery but its an idea. As for the non-alcoholic beer I'll need to give that a look as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TaleOn11 View Post
    As in Coca Cola soft drink? That stuff makes me jittery but its an idea. As for the non-alcoholic beer I'll need to give that a look as well.
    Cola contains caffeine so I'd steer clear of that stuff..

I can't drink anymore so I always have a blackcurrant and soda in pubs...

I forgot to mention something. Ever since the beginning of the COVID pandemic, my drinking intake increased quite a bit during weekends. Pre-pandemic, I usually limited my drinking on a Sunday night due to having work the next day, but when the pandemic started, I had to leave work and my anxiety increased due to staying in the house 24/7. So when the weekend came I drank a lot more beer to ease that anxiety. Even now that the pandemic is sort of over and I'm now doing volunteer work, that "pandemic beer intake" shall we call it still remained. Perhaps thats why I still feel like crap afterwards. Thankfully I was able to reduce it last Sunday but do you think that was part of the problem? Obviously lockdown didn't help and was a contribution, but did my increased beer intake cause more anxiety too? Thanks

I've more or less stopped drinking these days. However, if I have a few at an event (birthdays, weddings etc), I'm a jibbering wreck with major anxiety and depression for a week.

My advice would be to cut it out completely.

Its the worst thing in the world for anxiety! :(

TaleOn11, I would try to reduce your intake if you can. With a plan to cut it out altogether. Alcohol really does exacerbate anxiety, there are no two ways about it. I used to be borderline problem drinker. It would help me escape my problems temporarily, but simultaneously hinder solving them. Next morning they were still there, unless I started on the tinnies again which is a very dark path.

You don't have to go cold turkey, try making each drink last longer combined with lower alcohol content. I wish you all the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information