Thread: Ho Is It?

Ho Is It?

I am starting at 25mg I just hate side effects. What should I expect, I really don't want to gain weight. I read it can cause that, and a few other unwanted side effects. Everything has side effects but a co worker who takes this pill says it changed his life in a great way. I have ocd and anxiety constantly repeating over and over lol

Re: Ho Is It?

I think one of the main side effects is a temporary increase in anxiety. Not want you want but it’s worth sticking it out. Increase your dose slowly to minimise the side effects under your doctors advise. After 8-12 weeks you should have powered through them and be feeling the benefits.

Panic Down Under knows his stuff about meds. He comes on the meds section quite a bit.
    My son took Sertraline and he had increased anx but pushed on through and came out fine the other end. He didn’t however put any weight on with them.

Good luck with your journey.

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    I am starting at 25mg I just hate side effects.
    Starting on a low dose as you've done and increasing at 7-10 day intervals is the best way of minimising initial side-effects, especially a spike in anxiety.

What should I expect,
    Most people have only mild side-effects and some none at all. It is the relative few that do have severe reactions who come to support groups like NMP seeking advice. Also, not all side-effects are necessarily caused by the med. Convince yourself that you'll suffer and an anxious mind is very capable of delivering your worst nightmare.

I really don't want to gain weight. I read it can cause that, and a few other unwanted side effects.
    Antidepressants (ADs) can cause weight gain for reasons which are not well understood but probably involves the enteric nervous system of the gut and the gut microbiome. However, some lose weight so it is by no means a given that you will gain it. If you do exercise is often effective in maintaining control and it has positive effects on anxiety and depression too.

Everything has side effects but a co worker who takes this pill says it changed his life in a great way. I have ocd and anxiety constantly repeating over and over lol
    While there are no guarantees there is a good chance sertraline will be just as effective for you. Be aware that it can take 6-12 weeks from when you begin taking a therapeutic dose (50mg+ for sertraline) for an AD to kick-in and you might need to take 100-150mg to achieve optimum results.

Can I take it before bed or when I wake up? In your opinion? I tried it once in the day time and it made me tired. Not sure if I should try it again in the day time. Was going to call my dr to ask (pharmacist said I could take it before bed if wanted) I take 25 mg Olanzapine I think 30 mg Mirtazapine 50Mg Trazadone and 10 mg melatonin for bed already. Dont want to die in my sleep from over medicating lol.
    Last edited by SEANML; 21-06-22 at 12:20.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    Can I take it before bed or when I wake up? In your opinion?
    In theory it shouldn't make any difference because after about 5 days sertraline plasma levels settle to a steady-state and then don't vary much across the day. However, in practice some seem to do better when taking it in the morning or at night. The only way to determine this is by trial and error.

I tried it once in the day time and it made me tired. Not sure if I should try it again in the day time.
    That's possibly, but you're on enough sedatives to anaesthetise an elephant so... If it was the sertraline it might resolve within a day or two.

took it 2 hours before i take the other meds. Taking my sleepers soon. Will keep you all posted on how it works out

Thread Information