Thread: Streaks of blood in phelgm

Streaks of blood in phelgm

Hi all. Just want to say thank you for such a supportive and understanding forum.
    Last summer, I woke up twice to blood in my phlegm and had blood in my nose when I blew it. I just put it down to bloody nose in the night and tried to stop looking when I spit.
    Then a few weeks ago I had brown phlegm and my health anxiety went into free fall. Saw a doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about. Only come back to see him if there was actual blood. I took a week off work to help with my anxiety. Then two weeks later I woke with two streaks of blood in my phelgm and no obvious cause. I went to the nurse practitioner and she said it could be infection but I've had no symptoms of infection. She sent off a sputum test and I'm still waiting for the results. I mentioned that i consulted dr Google and saw some scary stuff. She said it was unlikely to be the scary stuff. Its happened again this morning and I'm going through again.
    I keep getting nausea which I always put down to taking citralopam and then sertraline. I also have been tasting blood which I spoke to a Dr about. He did a quick couple checks in my mouth and with a stethoscope and put up down to anxiety.

Re: Streaks of blood in phelgm

Hi, if the streaks of blood are thread like, then there's normally nothing to worry about. People often get this through allergies, hay-fever, colds. You will sometimes taste blood because of the dripping down the throat from the nose. It normally clears up by itself. Pollen is very high at the moment causing lots of suffering with the nose, throat and eyes. It's good to get it checked out if you are concerned though, it will put your mind at rest.

Hot weather, allergies, etc etc. I'm always getting blood when I blow my nose and it's not something I even have anxiety about. Little streaks of blood are totally normal, especially in hot or dry weather and during allergy season. I wouldn't worry

Thank you everyone. I dont really considered myself to have hayfever but the first time it happened this year I had been redecorating so possibly it could be a dust allergy

Thread Information