Thread: Is it my gallbladder?

Is it my gallbladder?

For about the last 6 months I’ve been getting pain under my right boob area inside my ribs. The pain is also felt in the same area around the back. I cannot pin point precisely where it is! It throbs, feels burny, and when I bend I almost feel like I’m squashing something. I have just had an endoscopy and given the all clear for stomach issues, just some mild gastritis caused by my ongoing silent reflux. The endoscopist said maybe gallbladder or liver, but I need an ultrasound to check for this (which I’m still waiting for an NHS referral for). Has anyone got any experience of gallbladder issues or liver pain? Just to put my mind at rest until my ultrasound date? The pain is pretty consistent, sometimes quite unbearable but usually just there gnawing away and tiring me out. Any suggestions or reassurances would be great. I’m 40. Pretty healthy diet but I do indulge in wine more than we are supposed to! (Couple of glasses a night).

Re: Is it my gallbladder?

Is it worse if you eat fatty or spicy food? That was the sign with me.

My son had the exact same thing. Pain in the same place. Felt like he was squashing something when he leaned over. The doctor decided it was his gallbladder but after an ultrasound it was proved not to be. The ultra sound found a bit of a fatty liver so he’s cutting down on sat fats but he’s not overweight…6ft 1 and 13.5/stone and a gym haunter. That however was not the cause of the pain. The doctor prescribed a course of omesprazole (sp?) and the pain has completely gone. Never had a sign of it since.

Hope this helps.

Ghost…Spillways

Thank you for your reply. No, eating doesn’t affect it. It’s just constantly there!

Thank you, that is helpful. Fingers crossed my ultrasound referral comes quickly so I will know finally! I’m just back on my Lanzoprazole so will see if that makes any difference to the pain once it kicks in.

Hi did u get to the bottom of this x

I had a sneak attack of gallbladder issues. I’d lost a considerable amount of weight over a years time and then the gallbladder just got awful. I had multiple small stones, one dislodged and got stuck in the bile duct. I’ve never had a heart attack but that felt like what I imagine that to be. Horrific pain. Landed me in ER and I have a decent pain tolerance - this pain was 100x worse than childbirth. I was never so happy to have my gallbladder removed. They diagnosed me via ultrasound and I had it removed within 3 weeks. I know our wait times are a little different in the states though.

mine definitely got worse quickly if I ate anything with more than 5 grams of fat in a meal. And for the last week before surgery I couldn’t tolerate anything other than liquids. It was awful.

Thread Information