Thread: Rabies Fear (new puppy)

Rabies Fear (new puppy)

I am getting a new puppy on Friday. I am very excited. However, my fear of rabies is creeping back up. Puppies can’t be vaccinated against it until a certain age and it wouldn’t meet that age threshold when I get it. My mind is racing thinking “what if it got bit by something and the owner didn’t know” “what if they let the puppies run free and do not watch them” etc. The puppy licks me… I’ll have the virus. Something I should be enjoying is getting taken away because of my mind.

Re: Rabies Fear (new puppy)

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you! Sorry about that.

I believe if the mother was vaccinated, she would have passed antibodies onto her pups. And hopefully the breeder would know if their puppies were bitten by a rabid animal.

Honestly, rabies in pet dogs even in the US is exceedingly rare. As long as your breeder is attentive and keeps her dogs UTD on all vaccines, you should have a happy, healthy puppy soon. Congrats! What kind of puppy is it? You'll have to share pictures.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I believe if the mother was vaccinated, she would have passed antibodies onto her pups. And hopefully the breeder would know if their puppies were bitten by a rabid animal.

Honestly, rabies in pet dogs even in the US is exceedingly rare. As long as your breeder is attentive and keeps her dogs UTD on all vaccines, you should have a happy, healthy puppy soon. Congrats! What kind of puppy is it? You'll have to share pictures.
    That makes me feel better. It is definitely a good breeder based off reviews, etc. She is a sheepadoodle and I am getting her tomorrow. I am definitely more excited now. Just stressful! Thanks for the reply

Thread Information