Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rational Thread

The Rational Thread

Hello everyone, I don't know if anyone has ever tried this before on this Forum -- I know that every now and then we do a round of "In the past year I have NOT died from..." but that only covers what disease people don't have, not what they were experiencing that made them think they had a disease! So I thought perhaps we could use a format like this:

"I had [symptoms] and was worried about [disease] for / during [year or timeframe] and it turned out it wasn't that / I am still here!" to show that alternate rational explanations are available / catastrophe isn't the only outcome!

I'll go first. Maybe if we get enough of these they can serve as a searchable resource for others?

"I had right sided rib and back pain and was worried about pancreatic cancer in fall/winter 2022 and it turned out it wasn't that / I am still here!"

"I had open wounds and a lot of exposure to medical environments and was worried about MRSA or flesh eating bacteria during summer 2017 and nothing ever happened and I am still here!"

"I neti potted a lot and was worried about brain eating bacteria/amoeba during 2011 and nothing ever happened and I am still here!"

"I had periodic severe digestive issues (cramping/urgent poos/watery poos) and was worried about autoimmune problems on and off for about 6 years 2016 to 2020 ish, with reoccurrences even now, and I am still here!"

"I had morning puking, reflux, and difficulty swallowing tough foods and was worried about miscellaneous cancer for 2008-2009 and it turned out it wasn't that / I am still here!"

"I had kidney pain and was worried about fatal kidney and liver things in summer 2012 and again in spring of 2015 and it turned out it wasn't that / I am still here!"

"I had enlarged groin lymph nodes and was worried about cancer for / during 2013 and it turned out it wasn't that / I am still here!"

"I had pulsatile tinnitus and was worried about arterial hemorrhage in 2021 and it turned out it wasn't that / I am still here!"

"I had a very strong visible heartbeat in my stomach and was worried about hemorrhage in Fall 2019 and it turned out it wasn't that / I am still here!"

"I was worried about contaminated baby formula during summer 2019 and nothing ever happened to any kid I know!"

Re: The Rational Thread

Reminds me of my favorite doctor exchange:

“Doc, I have belly pain right here.”

”How long have you had it?”

”About 4 years. Could it be cancer?”

”Cancer for four years??”

If I think back long enough about all the diseases and conditions I feared, none of them ever actually occurred. I’m still here.

I thought I had a bowel prolapse and it turned out to be a bit of hard poo that had got stuck coming out me bum hole (awks) / I'm still here.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I thought I had a bowel prolapse and it turned out to be a bit of hard poo that had got stuck coming out me bum hole (awks) / I'm still here.
    blimey

Quote Originally Posted by Flapj View Post
    blimey
    That's not what my doctor said.

I'm bumping this because I would very much like to see all the "fatal brain eating stuff" people, the rabies people, etc. post here too.

The more reasonable evidence we can all see that sensations / beliefs don't equate to the realization of our worst fears... the better!

deleted
    Last edited by MrLurcher; 29-06-22 at 17:22.

Don't infect this positive thread with your negativity, Mr L? Actually you did get told something..Don't turn up at A&E under the influence of HA when doctors are treating genuine emergencies and get your anxiety under control.

You're still here even though you believe that you're doomed..

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Don't infect this positive thread with your negativity, Mr L? Actually you did get told something..Don't turn up at A&E under the influence of HA when doctors are treating genuine emergencies and get your anxiety under control.

You're still here even though you believe that you're doomed..
    It was meant to be a humorous/amusing story? Leaking brain fluid was obviously not happening. Obviously there's nothing humorous about wasting A&E time.....

I worried that my suddenly yellow fingernails were a sign that my liver was on its way out. I even messaged my doctor(with pictures)

Turns out that using YELLOW Flash liquid isn't a good idea without using gloves...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information