Thread: Weaning experiences?

Weaning experiences?

Has anyone gone through trying to wean off Setraline, and wondering whether what you are experiencing is withdrawal symptoms OR could it be relapse/actually needing a higher dose?

Re: Weaning experiences?

What dose were you on and how are you weaning off? What symptoms do you have?

I was on 100mg and the doctor said to half them so currently on 50mg. I feel kinda miserable and more anxious, whereas before I was quite content. It's been just over a month so I don't know if I should be settled into the lower dose now or not.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry22 View Post
    I was on 100mg and the doctor said to half them so currently on 50mg.
    Too big a cut, imo. I think a cut of no more than 25mg might have made it easier.

I feel kinda miserable and more anxious, whereas before I was quite content.
    Was it your decision to wean off, or your doctors? Also how long have you been taking sertraline?

It's been just over a month so I don't know if I should be settled into the lower dose now or not.
    The symptoms should be diminishing. How long are you supposed to remain on 50mg?

Well it was my decision as even though my mood was stable there were some side effects I wasn't happy with, so I spoke to the doctor and the thought lowering the dose might help, but now I'm not so sure if it was a good idea!

I've been on sertraline for a good few years now!

While lowering the dose may reduce the severity of side-effects it will often be at the expense of effectiveness. If a side-effect, or side-effects are a significant issue then either 'treating' them, or switching to another AD can be the better options. All ADs have potential side-effects, but they tend to be different from AD to AD so the trick is to find one whose side-effects you can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    While lowering the dose may reduce the severity of side-effects it will often be at the expense of effectiveness. If a side-effect, or side-effects are a significant issue then either 'treating' them, or switching to another AD can be the better options. All ADs have potential side-effects, but they tend to be different from AD to AD so the trick is to find one whose side-effects you can live with.
    Thanks for the reply, I think that might be sometihng to discuss with the doctor

Thread Information