Thread: IBS and social anxiety

IBS and social anxiety

How do others cope with having IBS and going to social gatherings?

95% of the time I won't have any symptoms while out but I know that if I do, I would have to explain to someone why I've taken so long in the bathroom (sorry for tmi but pain means I might stay in there for up to 20 mins or more), or why I've gone in there more than once, etc. I never know what to say. I'm sure there are more socially skilled people than me on this subject who are not anxious about it because it doesn't embarass them.

What to say to people if having symptoms, or having to go to the bathroom all the time, etc. Mostly I would never have to have such discussions but I'd still like to be prepared, the thought of it makes me anxious. (anxiety doesn't directly affect my ibs thankfully)

Re: IBS and social anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanna View Post
    How do others cope with having IBS and going to social gatherings?

95% of the time I won't have any symptoms while out but I know that if I do, I would have to explain to someone why I've taken so long in the bathroom (sorry for tmi but pain means I might stay in there for up to 20 mins or more), or why I've gone in there more than once, etc. I never know what to say. I'm sure there are more socially skilled people than me on this subject who are not anxious about it because it doesn't embarass them.

What to say to people if having symptoms, or having to go to the bathroom all the time, etc. Mostly I would never have to have such discussions but I'd still like to be prepared, the thought of it makes me anxious. (anxiety doesn't directly affect my ibs thankfully)
    I would also like if somebody could answer this. Thank you

I just tell people I have a dodgy stomach. I know it can be hard to believe, but it doesn't have to be complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanna View Post

I find honesty and humour to be the best policy.

Thread Information