Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palpitations, Flutters, When to Ask Doc?

Palpitations, Flutters, When to Ask Doc?

I'm doing some thought challenging and trying to combat this, but to be honest I think my biggest fear right now is I'm not sure if something is amiss/when I should see my doctor.

My issue is that I've been having some flutters in my throat. Like, moments where I feel a sudden bit of pressure. Sometimes that pressure feeling stick around (similar to the classic "something stuck in my throat" feeling) but that might just be me fixating and having it persist. I don't really notice any weird heart sensations, necessarily, but because of this I'm of course hyper-fixating on a lot of things, so my costo which is acting up, or like I'll feel a heartbeat somewhere else and think it's signaling something else.

I don't have a family history of heart issues - my mom has high blood pressure and my grandfather may have passed from a heart attack, but he was in his 80s and undergoing chemo so I don't know if that was ever confirmed. I previously had issues with high cholesterol, but I just had a physical and all my numbers were down + I lost weight. I mentioned the issue to my doctor and he said it might be palpitations, but unless they were really frequent or I was dizzy I shouldn't worry, but of course I'm kicking myself because I prefaced it with "this is probably anxiety..." and I'm not quite sure how to define "frequent".

About 12 or so years ago I had a sports physical and the doctor noted an irregular heartbeat. I wore a holter for a weekend and had an ultrasound, where they said my heart would rest on certain beats, but that it was fine. No doctor since that point has ever mentioned my heartbeat, and I don't know that it even is still irregular.

So, logically I am telling myself that it is very unlikely I have a heart issue. But it just seems like when it goes away, a few days later it returns and I get concerned about it again. And I'm a bit afraid that there will be an issue and I won't address it when I need to.

Does anyone else have this issue?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Palpitations, Flutters, When to Ask Doc?

I've been struggling with this over the weekend. I'm still feeling the flutters in my throat, but with my costo acting up I'm spending a lot of time wondering if each twinge, beat, or ache is something to be concerned about. When I feel my pulse it feels normal, but I don't know if that really means anything or not. I sat in my parents' hot tub this weekend which really helped the pain, and I've been putting heat on my chest + taking naproxen. If it weren't for the fluttering I may be more able to convince that it was all normal. But the fluttering in the throat is definitely new to me; it makes me want to cough when it happens and for awhile afterward.

I'm debating making an appointment for peace of mind, but I don't want my doctor to think I'm crazy for coming in a month after my physical and I'm also worried about potential costs. I've been trying to look into my insurance plans for any kind of EKG or Holter monitor but they don't mention either specifically. I have no idea what the cost was like when I did it as a teen, and I'm just so afraid of being hit with a massive bill - which is funny, when it's my dog apparently that's okay, but when it's myself I'm debating if the costs are worth it. I'm also never sure how to ask for an appointment like this without being told "to go to the ER" because it's a heart concern, but I also would really prefer to not pay an ER bill if I don't absolutely have to.

I had a pretty long night and didn't get much sleep. It seemed like everything I did to try and help my costo pain aggravated the fluttering, so that was a fun balance.

I ended up making an appointment for this afternoon. I figured it can't hurt to go in and talk to my doctor, at least, especially as I've never had discernable palpitations before and that + the costo pain makes me want to be sure nothing is amiss. Statistically, I do know that things will probably be just fine, but in this instance a little reassurance would be nice. I hope I don't come across as paranoid to my doctor, but he's been my doctor for about three years and I've only seen him four times outside of physicals: two telehealth appointments when I had bronchitis and one about six or seven months ago to talk about my costo - so maybe I won't be perceived as the paranoid 'frequent flyer'.

Wanted to update, as I had my appointment this afternoon. I couldn't tell if my doctor thought I was crazy or not. He did an in-office EKG, which naturally was fine, and a cardiologist is going to call me about setting up a holter monitor for 48 hours. They have to clear it with my insurance first. Hopefully my insurance covers it, if not I'd rather just not deal with it.

He also mentioned setting me up with physical therapy to help with the costo pain. I've never had physical therapy before, but it might be nice to learn some exercises that might loosen me up and help with that pain. A good thing for the toolkit.

So I wish I had left with a "you're definitely fine!" or had been able to take the holter monitor today to get it out of the way, but I suppose if I were in active heart distress they would have known in the office itself. As it is, I think my doctor is just playing it safe by doing it and I don't think he thinks anything is actually wrong, which is a good sign. So I'll try to relax myself a little bit for the time being and hope that my insurance plays nice.

but I suppose if I were in active heart distress they would have known in the office itself. As it is, I think my doctor is just playing it safe by doing it and I don't think he thinks anything is actually wrong, which is a good sign.
    There we go - you got it sorted yourself !

that’s good you’re getting it checked out if anything for piece of mind. i’m going through something similar and doing a 48 hour monitor (both me and my doctor wanted to do longer because the issue i’m having doesn’t occur every day) but insurance basically makes me do the shorter one first. im anxious about figuring out what this is but at the same time already feeling better after talking to the cardiologist. best of luck to you!

Thank you both. It’s just a bit extra concerning with the costo flare especially- wondering if certain pains are concerning or not. Hopefully the physical therapist will be able to help with that a bit. And peace of mind will be nice. I know statistically it’s probably nothing but when it comes to heart stuff better safe than sorry.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a bit more sleep tonight, and that the cardiologist calls soon.

I did my holter monitoring almost two weeks ago but haven’t gotten the results back yet. My doctor said if I haven’t heard back by Friday to call his office and see what’s up. I’m honestly not sure what I expect to hear, nor am I really sure what I want to hear. Obviously I’d like to hear that it’s all okay, but I only had a couple of very minor events then and the past free days have been really rough - just now I’ve had like three palpitation episodes in less than five minutes and it’s got me panicked (which doesn’t help) so I’m worried if they give me an all clear that it will be because none of the intense events were recorded.

It’s just so hard to separate out ectopic beats/palpitations, costochondritis, and anxiety. My doctor basically just said wait for the results and call him if I felt lightheaded. I do sometimes when it happens, but that’s likely just panic. He said we could pursue an echo, but they can be really expensive and there’s a good chance it wouldn’t happen during the appointment anyway.

Got the results back...all normal. Even the times I hit the button were normal. Granted, I wasn't having the palpitations as noticeably as I have had the last couple of days (I was almost asleep last night and another woke me right up) but I did have some of the sensation so surely if it was an issue at least *something* would have registered?

I was concerned because about 14 years ago I went in for a school physical and the doctor said I had an irregular heartbeat so I had to wear the monitor and get an echo...the tech at the time said that yes, my heart was randomly resting for a beat but that it wasn't an issue and may even make it stronger. I didn't have any kind of palpitations then but was worrying that maybe it was getting worse somehow and now I was just feeling it, but seeing as they haven't even seen any signs of an irregular beat on a 48 hour monitor I guess I can assume that it fixed itself somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I guess I can assume that it fixed itself somehow?
    The heart is a magnificent organ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information