Thread: Lorazepam

Lorazepam

Hi all

Me again. I posted previously as my doctor had suggested adding in xanex to help with a particularly stressful time. I was advised today, that its not available and he has prescribed lorazepam 0.5mg.

I am already on escitralopram 15mg (and have been for some time).

My husband is currently receiving end of life care in a hospice. We have a young family, and my anxiety is through the roof. I know that no medication is going to change our life events, but looking for something that might hell me through this time.

I'm scared to try anything that might make me drowsy (due to having to drive everyday and look after our children).

Benzos scare me with the thought of addiction or further problems, but I also feel horrendous.

Help please

Re: Lorazepam

I get 1mg tablets as 0.75 works for me, although I rarely use it now. 30mins after taking it I'm calm for the next 5-6 hours.
    I'm fine driving on it and going out and about (I know that's not the situation you're in), but I can function normally, I've even taken it at work on occasion.
    If you lie down, it will send you to sleep pretty quickly.
    I don't know how long you expect to use it, but if you can do 3 days in-between each dose there is very little chance of addiction, this does not apply to other benzos, they are all slightly different.

I wish you the best. Hope this helps.

Re: Lorazepam

Quote Originally Posted by welshdory View Post
    my doctor had suggested adding in xanex to help with a particularly stressful time. I was advised today, that its not available and he has prescribed lorazepam 0.5mg.
    Lorazepam has a longer half-life than alprazolam which can be an advantage. The potential side-effects are the same.

I am already on escitralopram 15mg (and have been for some time).
    Increasing it to the recommended maximum 20mg/day might help too.

Benzos scare me with the thought of addiction or further problems, but I also feel horrendous.
    While benzodiazepines (BZDs) have their problems addictions isn't one of them despite the hue and cry about it, especially in the UK. Yes, take them daily for a while and dependency will become an issue requiring you to wean off them instead of stopping abruptly, but this is just as true for ADs. Plus, you are already dependent on BZDs, have been all your life, as they occur naturally in all foods and we and all other non plant life have become so adapted to them that we couldn't survive without them. Diazepam (Valium) and its metabolites and lorazepam seem particularly prevalent in plants. While the quantities we get from food are small, they are not insignificant. Benzodiazepine levels can reach pharmaceutical levels in patients with some liver diseases and may become so high that medical intervention is necessary.

You can reduce the onset of dependency by not taking lorazepam just in case but only when you need it so hopefully will have some BZD free days. You might also get enough relief from over-the-counter remedies such as the antihistamine diphenhydramine found in Nytol tablets and liquid. It isn't as potent a anxiolytic as the BZDs, but may be potent enough to make a difference. Like many antihistamines it can be sedating, but usually less so than the BZDs are initially. If you are experiencing anxiety triggered adrenaline surges a low dose beta-blocker may help.

Thread Information