Thread: CT Scan now received appointment with breast team, going out of my mind with worry

CT Scan now received appointment with breast team, going out of my mind with worry

I had a CT scan 5 weeks ago and have been chasing up the results. Finally told by GP receptionist a couple of days ago that hospital were emailing report to GP and that I should wait a couple of days for them to receive it before making an appointment to discuss results. Then, yesterday, I receive an appointment for a "follow up" with a doctor in the breast clinic so now I'm panicking.

Ironically, I was at the breast clinic just 8 weeks ago, 3 weeks before the ct scan, and told my breasts were normal (mammogram & ultrasound). There was no talk of needing a follow up appointment so can only think related to the ct scan. Surely something couldn't have changed in just 3 weeks! I'm aware I have a cyst and a few hormonal lumps. Could that be what the ct saw but can't differentiate them like a mammogram can? That's what I'm hoping.

I will phone GP/ hospital tomorrow (Monday) to find out what's going on but any words of reassurance to get me though today would be appreciated. I have crippling health anxiety, hence these investigations which is now through the roof!

I'm also really upset about the poor communication that has added to my anxiety. It wasn't even clear why I needed the ct (tried finding out but no one knew!). The appointment was sent to me unexpectedly after a trip to A&E for sudden, unexplained bruising. This was almost certainly caused by the Sertraline I was taking for my health anxiety but ended up making it MUCH worse!

Thanks x

Re: CT Scan now received appointment with breast team, going out of my mind with wor

I would add that the breast appointment is this week so the urgency scares me too

Re: CT Scan now received appointment with breast team, going out of my mind with wor

Anyone? I'm in pieces as I wait to call the doctors this morning.

Hi, how are you doing, did you manage to speak to the GP?
    I really sympathise, it’s not very good when there is poor communication especially when you have anxiety, just makes it worse, doesn’t it?!

It was a mistake!!! Doctor at breast clinic had ordered the scan for me instead of another patient! Nothing was found on the scan. The "follow up" appointment was for him to explain and apologise. Because I'd also been to a&e the following day, I assumed it was arranged by them, but even that was strange as they never mentioned doing a scan when I was there. It was an unfortunate catalogue of events that led me to go for a scan that I didn't need.

While I'm relieved, I'm also upset and angry at the weeks of stress and anguish this has caused me.

This is good news! But yes highly irritating they cocked up so badly. Maybe a letter of complaint is in order?

Thread Information