Thread: Day 8 of COVID and still dealing with congestion

Unhappy Day 8 of COVID and still dealing with congestion

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I tested positive for COVID on Tuesday which was day 3 of symptoms for me. Getting COVID has been a true test of my health anxiety as getting any type of virus sends me into a frenzy. I would say I have been coping fairly well with it though I have had a lot of anxiety still. On day 2 of my symptoms before I actually tested positive, I had hives on my elbows and knees. I freaked out when this happened as I thought I was having an allergic reaction to a medication I was on. I'm pretty sure though this was COVID as the lady at urgent care told me that she had been seeing hives with some COVID patients. Those hives left thankfully through taking an anti histamine and they have never came back.

The symptoms I have been dealing with now are congestion and coughing. It's very annoying. More phelgm keeps coming up and that's causing a lot of anxiety within itself. I keep telling myself I should be better by now and not having symptoms. All I can do right now to keep calm is assure myself that this is normal and that the virus will run its course. I keep telling myself though that it'll turn into pneumonia or bronchitis. Was anyone else dealing with this congestion day 8 of COVID?

Re: Day 8 of COVID and still dealing with congestion

I didn't, but my husband did, he took some decongestants and it really helped.

I know that this might be comparing apples with oranges but I had a really bad flu-like virus for over 3 weeks back in December 2000 at the age of 23 and 1/2, even losing my hearing in my left ear for about 3-4 days, plus there were certain lingering symptoms well into the very first week of January 2001.

All much worse than my own Covid episode back in February this year that felt like nothing more than an ordinary cold, though it did last for about 8-9 days IIRC.

Prior to then, I had been triple-jabbed though, plus possibly even had traces of the original Covid variant in February 2020, just before it really started to explode in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by rachlexis13 View Post
    Hi all,

Unfortunately, I tested positive for COVID on Tuesday which was day 3 of symptoms for me. Getting COVID has been a true test of my health anxiety as getting any type of virus sends me into a frenzy. I would say I have been coping fairly well with it though I have had a lot of anxiety still. On day 2 of my symptoms before I actually tested positive, I had hives on my elbows and knees. I freaked out when this happened as I thought I was having an allergic reaction to a medication I was on. I'm pretty sure though this was COVID as the lady at urgent care told me that she had been seeing hives with some COVID patients. Those hives left thankfully through taking an anti histamine and they have never came back.

The symptoms I have been dealing with now are congestion and coughing. It's very annoying. More phelgm keeps coming up and that's causing a lot of anxiety within itself. I keep telling myself I should be better by now and not having symptoms. All I can do right now to keep calm is assure myself that this is normal and that the virus will run its course. I keep telling myself though that it'll turn into pneumonia or bronchitis. Was anyone else dealing with this congestion day 8 of COVID?
    I’m currently on day 8 as we speak and still have congestion along with just feeling completely zapped of energy I think the congestion in most cases with this variant can go on for a fair amount of time and that’s completely normal. Hope you feel better soon

Yes I did have congestion and plenty of phlegm on day 8 and beyond. So did my son, in fact the phlegmy throat persisted for a while after I tested negative and was the last symptom to go.

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by davey2k17 View Post
    I’m currently on day 8 as we speak and still have congestion along with just feeling completely zapped of energy I think the congestion in most cases with this variant can go on for a fair amount of time and that’s completely normal. Hope you feel better soon
    Thank you! I hope you feel better soon as well.

I'm on day 11 now and no longer congested. I still have some sinus pressure, but that has seemed to resolve on its' own quite a lot along with the help of some Vicks vapor rub and claritin-d. I still got post nasal drip though and a lot of fatigue. I am debating on going to work tomorrow, but I do not know if I should. I am no longer considered contagious per CDC guidelines, but I just feel wiped of energy. I have an 8 hour shift and that sounds difficult to survive through. I know though I have to return to normalcy some time. Have you also had difficulty with your appetite?

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Yes I did have congestion and plenty of phlegm on day 8 and beyond. So did my son, in fact the phlegmy throat persisted for a while after I tested negative and was the last symptom to go.
    It's very annoying, isn't it? What has helped you?

Thread Information