Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to MRSA?

Re: What happened to MRSA?

But you still have doubts?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    But you still have doubts?
    But I am trying to rationalise my concerns now though.

I was also touching on the fact that MRSA was a highly politicised subject of a moral panic back in the day, plus one of many symptoms of 'Broken Britain', largely whipped up by those on the Right with an anti-Labour agenda, which IMO smacked of blatant hypocrisy, especially given the NHS and the Health and Social Care profession in general has often bore the brunt of corners being cut under the watch of Tory govts both past and present.

Of course poor management of individual establishments themselves is also often to blame in many instances, but as usual the govt almost always tends to get it in the neck and ends up on the receiving end of the 'blame game', regardless of whichever party is in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    It's more to do with the fact that my mom will be admitted to a care home (provisionally for the next fortnight) for assessment this afternoon, and that care homes (like hospitals) were often hotbeds for MRSA during the alleged 'epidemic' back in the 2000s. In retrospect it seemed like one of the 'Covids' of the time.
    Ah, I see!

I brought this up again today in my other thread about 'things that seemed to be a bigger deal in the past.....' and then realised I had already created this thread in the 'Coronavirus/Covid-19' sub-section just over a year ago when my mom was first admitted to her care home. What a wally I am!

Honestly, my best guess is that better management techniques have been learned. I know people are always tested for it before surgery, and I know people still get it in hospital. It's like Covid and AIDS, though, better techniques come along.

Only difference is that MRSA may present more of a risk as antibiotic resistance increases, which is honestly terrifying.

There is always the risk of goodness knows what lingering about in hospitals, care facilities and the like Lenco. The nature of the beast! But I can understand you worrying about it considering what has happened over the last 3 years. My dad is in the hozzie at the moment with pneumonia - hoping we can get him well enough to come home before he risks picking up anything else!

You're not wrong BI and Dorabella, that there's always the risk of goodness knows what doing the rounds, whether MRSA, AIDS/HIV, Covid, Norovirus, food poisoning, you name it, which will no doubt always be ever-present in some form or another pretty much wherever we go. But MRSA in particular doesn't appear to be very newsworthy ATM, especially as it doesn't appear to be one of the many current subjects of political football like it was in the 2000s when I recall it heavily being one of the many subjects of New Labour-bashing, and indeed one of the many 'moral panics' of said decade.

It's also been speculated that there was very likely 'anti-foreigner' sentiment at the bottom of the MRSA panic in the 2000s. Ditto for 'anti-gay' sentiment largely hand-in-hand with the AIDS panic in the 80s.

But of course, statistically, we're still always far more likely to get run over by a bus, end up in a car crash, fall down the stairs, or whatever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information