Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Work fear/anxiety

Re: Work fear/anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I went to the rally and it actually went pretty well. We seemed to get a lot of support. I am trying to rein in my anxiety of thinking someone saw me there and I’ll get fired or something, but that’s probably unlikely.

Unfortunately it wasn’t all great - we had breakfast on a splash park patio beforehand and a man came up to me and asked me the time. Totally normal, but it frightened me some, he was definitely either drunk or high and that was the reason. We also did a little march that went though an underpass tunnel and there was a couple of homeless men there, which really just made me sad. They were sleeping and the police made them leave. We used to have like two homeless individuals in my city and now there are a lot - I think there’s even a camp. It’s tragic and does make me feel sort of unsafe (mainly because drugs are involved) but honestly most of the stuff that happens doesn’t seem to be at their fault. For example, the car breakins and the robbing at gun point was both committed by high school kids.

IDK, it just feels helpful to rant/vent about it as no one I know deals with or worries about such things - they all either live in the posh neighborhoods or out in the country.
    I do feel for you Poppy.

You were dead brave to attend the protest with your mom; something I would never have the bottle to do personally, even if the cause was something I felt strongly about.

As for your fears of crime right now, whilst I do totally sympathise with you, unfortunately I'm not really qualified to make judgements on the current crime situation Stateside, as there are many variables on both sides of the Atlantic, plus many conflicting opinions of course, again in both the USA and the UK.

Re: Work fear/anxiety

Thanks again Lenco. I think what had me shaken was that all of the crimes that were listed took place during the day. I figured at least people would wait to steal or break into cars until it was dark. I also had previously told myself things like "well, they probably left their car unlocked" but no, smashing windows is apparently okay. A few weeks ago they were drilling into car locks in the lot of a popular hiking trail. That just made me wonder, if we're okay with breaking into cars, what would stop someone from just breaking into my basement windows?

The robbery I found out was between two people who knew each other. Not sure if that makes it "better". But they were firing at the people they robbed while they were driving down a road that I used to walk my dog on around that time. I don't live over there anymore and I don't walk my dog in neighborhoods anymore either, but I still had a thought like, "what if that happened while I was out with him?'

The protest itself actually went really well - but I have never been afraid before of a stranger approaching me to ask a question in broad daylight. We were just sitting there eating, along with other groups of people.

There's a city east of me that my dad grew up in, it used to be really nice when he was a kid (big, historic victorian houses, lots of middle and upper class people) but is absolutely horrible now. So much violence - it's known for it. I don't know what happened, I think ultimately people started moving out of the city proper and went to more suburbs and then the city itself just fell apart. I fear that is what is happening to my town now, as they continue to build the "nice" houses farther west and create little sprawled communities there and the houses in the town itself generally fall to slumlords. It makes it really hard to get excited about the renovations to my house, because it actually looks really nice now but I feel bummed when I feel unsafe and also wonder if I'll get the invested money back. But some of that ties into fears about what my future looks like.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information