Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
I went to the rally and it actually went pretty well. We seemed to get a lot of support. I am trying to rein in my anxiety of thinking someone saw me there and I’ll get fired or something, but that’s probably unlikely.

Unfortunately it wasn’t all great - we had breakfast on a splash park patio beforehand and a man came up to me and asked me the time. Totally normal, but it frightened me some, he was definitely either drunk or high and that was the reason. We also did a little march that went though an underpass tunnel and there was a couple of homeless men there, which really just made me sad. They were sleeping and the police made them leave. We used to have like two homeless individuals in my city and now there are a lot - I think there’s even a camp. It’s tragic and does make me feel sort of unsafe (mainly because drugs are involved) but honestly most of the stuff that happens doesn’t seem to be at their fault. For example, the car breakins and the robbing at gun point was both committed by high school kids.

IDK, it just feels helpful to rant/vent about it as no one I know deals with or worries about such things - they all either live in the posh neighborhoods or out in the country.
I do feel for you Poppy.

You were dead brave to attend the protest with your mom; something I would never have the bottle to do personally, even if the cause was something I felt strongly about.

As for your fears of crime right now, whilst I do totally sympathise with you, unfortunately I'm not really qualified to make judgements on the current crime situation Stateside, as there are many variables on both sides of the Atlantic, plus many conflicting opinions of course, again in both the USA and the UK.