Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALS Fear

ALS Fear

Sorry folks, my current fear is ALS. Pertains to my left arm/hand for about a week. My hand feels weak and tight. my wrist' hand, forearm feels tight and odd like I lost dexterity. I feel like my flexibility is off with left hand, feels weird typing like I am thinking about those fingers. My left hand feels light and weak. Lately I have woken up and left hand feels swollen and fingers achy. This is definitely embarrassing and I am sorry for listing my symptoms, I didnt know how else to explain. My dad died of MSA and it was tough to watch, it is so similar to ALS and although I was told it is not hereditary I think it may stay in back of head. Thank you for your time friends.

Re: ALS Fear

This is definitely a very rubbish fear to have - so I feel for you. But you talk about “feelings of weakness”, which is very different to actual weakness. Have you had similar fears before?

I can see from your history you have worried about this before - 3 years ago! You are almost as bad as me!!

I'm freaking out also about motor neuron disease. Felt I was tripping over my tongue getting words out last few days. Also my left arm is weak. I saw an article that says strenous exercise linked to motor neuron disease. I run 6 times per week so I'm thinking I'm high risk for this awful disease. Spiralling.

ALS Fear and struggling

Hi folks...I know there are many threads and I have been reading up. Just wanted to voice that I have been in ALS rabbit hole for past 48 hours. 47 year old male...Started with my right foot feeling tight and like I cant lift my toes as far as I normally can, thinking foot and shin is getting weaker and my shin muscle is sore. I started wearing flip flops about a week ago on and off, but still I go down rabbit hole....Therefore, of course, I went to ALS rabbit hole thinking I want to watch my kids grow up. Not much else, just really sad as I have ben doin geeks for a while. This fear is intense. Sorry to vent, just wanted to get this out to a group I feel safe with. All the best to everyone.
    Last edited by 4bready; 01-07-22 at 14:51.

Re: ALS Fear and struggling

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by 4bready View Post
    Hi folks...I know there are many threads and I have been reading up. Just wanted to voice that I have been in ALS rabbit hole for past 48 hours. 47 year old male...Started with my right foot feeling tight and like I cant lift my toes as far as I normally can, thinking foot and shin is getting weaker and my shin muscle is sore. I started wearing flip flops about a week ago on and off, but still I go down rabbit hole....Therefore, of course, I went to ALS rabbit hole thinking I want to watch my kids grow up. Not much else, just really sad as I have ben doin geeks for a while. This fear is intense. Sorry to vent, just wanted to get this out to a group I feel safe with. All the best to everyone.
    Straight away we have cause and effect. We walk differently wearing flip-flops because there is almost no support. You'll be using muscles in your feet that you're not used to using. Nothing to do with ALS...(but I think you know this)

Quote Originally Posted by 4bready View Post
    Hello from down in the hole. My first thought, weirdly, was one of envy because you’ve only been down here for 48 hrs. It’s the flip flops. Get out while you still can!! Good luck

ALS Fear, Scared and Frustrated at self

Hi folks, been here a few times over years and I have ALS bulbar fear firing really bad. I feel like a week ago there are times I start a sentence and don’t finish a particular word and then have to restart the word. For example I told my child “make sure you take several” and just said sev instead of several and had to start several over”. Also it seems difficult to say "sl" sound, my wife swears I sound perfectly normal. It feels like my mouth is tight and tongue is heavy and I slur a word or so. I also have trouble tripping or not completing a word in a sentence every so often, maybe once every 10-15 sentences. My mouth feels tight and tongue stiff and heavy...
    So my fear is I am starting to have bulbar ALS and freaking out. My wife insists I sound fine. So upset

Re: ALS Fear, Scared and Frustrated at self

Maybe go back to your other posts about the same thing you've made over the years and read the comments you've already had that you didn't respond to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information