Thread: My Heart Rate Keeps Staying High Even After Having ECG?

My Heart Rate Keeps Staying High Even After Having ECG?

Wednesday night while trying to get asleep, I started to feel really uneasy in bed, then my heart started to beat all over the place, jumping high then going back down. I started to get cold and then I started shaking uncontrollably for a good 10 minutes. I laid back in bed, and eventually it seemed to ease off, but I could still feel my heart beating really loudly. So, I went to the doctor the next morning, and she checked my heart, oxygen, and then had an ECG done (the nurse ran it 6 times because it kept printing it faintly, so that didn't help). It was sent to the doctor, she looked it over and looked over an older ECG too, and said she was happy with it and that my heart was fine. She also did my bloood pressure, which was perfect, and my temperature, which was also normal.

But since then, I still feel like my heart is beating faster than it normally does, and louder too. I don't know whether its just the heat, from eating, doing lots of errands etc, but its causing my anxiety to sky rocket. I'm 34 F btw, and I'm on Half-Beta Prograne 80mg slow release, but that doesn't seem to be helping, even when I do take it. It just doesn't seem to be subsiding at all. I started panicking about Sepsis and all sorts of weird health stuff. It's really draining me, my back muscles are sore and tender, my arms etc.

I honestly don't know if I'm missing something, or what but its just my heart rate is usually between 60-80 max. But today especially, its been all the way up to the high 90s, which I suppose - the more I see it and concentrate on it, the worse it gets. I've mostly been relaxing and sitting down today, and noticed it more, which is why I feel so agitated and anxious that something terrible is wrong. It just jumps up, but only comes down a little.

It's making me feel all over the place. It jumps up into the 90s when I get up from sitting down, and when I sit back down, its still really high in the 80s. It just doesn't seem to be settling. And this is all day, which is what's making me so afraid.
    Last edited by mischamoonlight; 02-07-22 at 22:10.

Re: My Heart Rate Keeps Staying High Even After Having ECG?

Quote Originally Posted by mischamoonlight View Post
    Wednesday night while trying to get asleep, I started to feel really uneasy in bed, then my heart started to beat all over the place, jumping high then going back down. I started to get cold and then I started shaking uncontrollably for a good 10 minutes. I laid back in bed, and eventually it seemed to ease off, but I could still feel my heart beating really loudly. So, I went to the doctor the next morning, and she checked my heart, oxygen, and then had an ECG done (the nurse ran it 6 times because it kept printing it faintly, so that didn't help). It was sent to the doctor, she looked it over and looked over an older ECG too, and said she was happy with it and that my heart was fine. She also did my bloood pressure, which was perfect, and my temperature, which was also normal.
    This sounds like anxiety to me.

But since then, I still feel like my heart is beating faster than it normally does, and louder too. I don't know whether its just the heat, from eating, doing lots of errands etc, but its causing my anxiety to sky rocket. I'm 34 F btw, and I'm on Half-Beta Prograne 80mg slow release, but that doesn't seem to be helping, even when I do take it. It just doesn't seem to be subsiding at all. I started panicking about Sepsis and all sorts of weird health stuff. It's really draining me, my back muscles are sore and tender, my arms etc.
    Heart rate naturally goes up when we're moving about or eating, and obviously it goes up when it's hot. All your signs are normal. Your blood oxygen would be low if your heart's struggling and yours is fine.

I honestly don't know if I'm missing something, or what but its just my heart rate is usually between 60-80 max. But today especially, its been all the way up to the high 90s, which I suppose - the more I see it and concentrate on it, the worse it gets. I've mostly been relaxing and sitting down today, and noticed it more, which is why I feel so agitated and anxious that something terrible is wrong. It just jumps up, but only comes down a little.
    This is classic anxiety. We become hypersensitive to our heartbeat and because our hearts naturally beat faster when we're anxious (biology) we are acutely aware of it and because we don't understand the stress response we think it's a problem with our hearts and this fear makes the heart beat even faster. My heart used to race regardless of what I was doing because I was so anxious all the time. And it can be disconcerting to feel our hearts racing away when we're sitting/lying down, right? But it is the stress response. The heart beats faster because the idea is that you run from the danger or stay and fight for your life, only there isn't any real danger with you - it's your anxious thoughts that your body is responding to..

It's making me feel all over the place. It jumps up into the 90s when I get up from sitting down, and when I sit back down, its still really high in the 80s. It just doesn't seem to be settling. And this is all day, which is what's making me so afraid.
    You've been checked over by a doctor and your fine. This is anxiety. Stop focusing on what your heart's doing, practice deep breathing instead of panicking, and this symptom will improve..
    Last edited by NoraB; 03-07-22 at 10:54.

@NoraB Thank you for replying. I honestly can't pinpoint what has set me off this time, I know I've had a lot on my mind and stress too, but didn't think it was that bad, subconsciously maybe it was. I'm trying to fight through it today and not let it consume me again, which it has done often in the past.

This morning it seems to have settled a little, perhaps a good nights sleep has helped, as I often suffer with insomnia, so getting a proper rest is rare for me. Thanks again Nora, I appreciate it!

You're welcome. I hope today is a better day for you..

I'm feeling alot like you. Nearly 3 weeks ago I was driving to work when suddenly out of nowhere my heart literally pounded in my chest. A few minutes later when I stopped I checked my pulse on an app and it was over 155. I was terrified. I ended up having to go home from work. We called an ambulance before that and they put me on ecg for ages. Nothing unusual showed and once pulse back down to 80ish they let me go. Made Dr appointment as had had bloods and all normal. I've had it a few more times since then feeling like my heart is going so fast it'll burst, feeling it in my throat, feeling a little light headed, nauseous, clammy hands, felling my whole body is vibrating. Dr won't give me beta blockers as I used to have mild asthma. Have used rescue remedy, deep breathing. I'm exhausted from it all. Interestingly, it doesn't really happen at night. I feel on edge neatly all the time and feelings flutters. It's driving me crazy. Logically, I know it's anxiety, but I don't know why.

@Dee62 Yeah, mine use to beat very high before I started beta blockers, it still does from time to time even on these. My doctor says these tablets don't slow your heart rate or anything, but they've helped massively. I'm sure their will be something your doctor could subscribe other than beta blockers to help perhaps.

That sounded like an awful panic attack, several of which I've had in the past, and all very similar to yours. I use to get the feeling like the ground beneath me was moving and that made my legs feel unsteady. Turns out, it was me just feeling light headed from panicking so much.

I do still get on edge from time to time, and feel the fear and anxiety creeping up and know I'm going to have a bad day or few days. Logically too, I know deep down, but the messages aren't getting through clearly and get crambled along the way, which causes the panic.

Try talk to your doctor again and explain what is going on some more and tell them how hard its being for you, and you need help, even if its medicine that will help. It doesn't have to be long term, it can be for a short time or when needed. I've been on the 80mg slow release prograne for about a year and a half now. I was on 10mg a day for about 2 years or so. Both really helped, which tells me it has a lot to do with my thoughts than physical.

Let me know how you get on if you do, and if you need someone to talk too, I am more than happy to help x

Thank you so much for your kindness. I'm phoning the Dr tomorrow. I have started a new thread and added a little more. The last time I felt this bad for so long was in 1986 after losing a baby at nearly 7 months.
    I hope you're feeling better now. Do keep in touch.

Dee

@Dee62 Sorry for late reply, I had some personal stuff to sort through but getting there. I believe, if you feel that bad, theirs no harm in talking to your doctor, and remember to be assertive about how you're feeling and letting them know you're worried, because they will be able to help you physically as well. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your baby, I know it was a while ago, but that kind of trauma never goes away and it's the learning to cope and adjust to life after said traumas that are the hard part.

I am here though, even if I'm late to reply lol! x

Thread Information