Thread: Barbecue and firepit smoke

Barbecue and firepit smoke

Have been at a friends tonight for a few hours and we had the barbecue going which was really smoking and I was only a few metres aways from it.

Really worried the smoke from the BBQ might have caused long term damage to my lungs and will cause cancer?

We also had a firepit going which we was sat around for a hour and half which had a bit of smoke coming off it. I also have the same concerns here :-(

Re: Barbecue and firepit smoke

Definitely not. It will have dispersed long before it got to you.

I’ve spent a lot of time around campfires, and even in the thick of smoke when burning pasture. Nearly all spring here is one smoky haze. Me and my family are all still here.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Definitely not. It will have dispersed long before it got to you.

I’ve spent a lot of time around campfires, and even in the thick of smoke when burning pasture. Nearly all spring here is one smoky haze. Me and my family are all still here.
    Hi Poppy,

I did think maybe a bit had dispersed but my clothes absolutely stunk of smoke when I got home so worries me how much made it in my lungs.

Is the smoke generated from charcoal and firelogs you get in packets as bad as smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannotstopworrying View Post
    Hi Poppy,

I did think maybe a bit had dispersed but my clothes absolutely stunk of smoke when I got home so worries me how much made it in my lungs.

Is the smoke generated from charcoal and firelogs you get in packets as bad as smoking?
    Smoke is just stinky - it gets into fabric really easily. But your body has ways to keep it from getting into your lungs, unless you are in a high smoke area (burning house, middle of a wildfire, etc)

Also, lots of smoke isn’t great but what’s bad about cigarettes is they have a lot of chemicals that aren’t present in campfires or barbeques.

You are in the clear, I promise.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thread Information