Thread: Amitriptyline Question

Amitriptyline Question

Hi all, I was prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg to help with prostatitis and nerve pain in my legs and groin area, the first month I had it. The pain subsided after 2 weeks of taking and things were going great, then my next prescription of it is a different brand and within 1 day of taking. The symptoms have all returned and in a lot of pain again. I知 now on day 4 of this brand and this pain is not subsiding. I知 just wondering if any one has any advice on different brands not working of Amitriptyline as I do feel this particular brand has not helped me one bit. Any advice is very welcome. Thanks all

Re: Amitriptyline Question

i dont have any issues with differend brands of amitryptline 10mg and ive been on it approx 20 years on and off. hope this helps

Re: Amitriptyline Question

Quote Originally Posted by anxious1 View Post
    The pain subsided after 2 weeks of taking and things were going great, then my next prescription of it is a different brand and within 1 day of taking. The symptoms have all returned and in a lot of pain again.
    The fact this happened immediately after changing to another generic suggests it may not have been the new generic as amitriptyline has a half-life of some 20-25 hours so there was still a significant amount of the previous chemical in your system.

I suspect much of the improvement owed more to the placebo effect than the med and this collapsed either coincidentally or because of concerns about the generics switch. Ten milligram is only a small dose with most needing 25-75mg for optimum results for nerve pain and it can take up to 6 weeks for amitriptyline to become effective. I suggest you consult your GP about this.

any advice on different brands not working of Amitriptyline as I do feel this particular brand has not helped me one bit.
    What were you on initially and who makes the one you're now taking?

Thread Information