Thread: Urine Dipstick Tests & vitamin C

Urine Dipstick Tests & vitamin C

I'm due to take a repeat urine dipstick test due to previous trace of blood. Since the last test I've been taking vitamin C tablets. I've now read these can cause false negative results! I've stopped taking them but wondered how long I should wait before taking the test to ensure it's not affecting my urine? Can't find the answer anywhere online.

Thanks

Re: Urine Dipstick Tests & vitamin C

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbiedoo View Post
    I'm due to take a repeat urine dipstick test due to previous trace of blood. Since the last test I've been taking vitamin C tablets. I've now read these can cause false negative results! I've stopped taking them but wondered how long I should wait before taking the test to ensure it's not affecting my urine? Can't find the answer anywhere online.

Thanks
    Clearly this is not a well known thing! I dropped a sample to my GP anyway with a note asking this question and informing them I'd not taken vitamin c for nearly a week, asking them to confirm if ok. I got a weird text back saying that vitamin c may cause kidney stones if taken in high doses (nothing about it affecting results) and to drop them a sample in the next week or so (no acknowledgement of the sample enclosed with the note). As it wasn't clear what they'd done with the sample I dropped, I called them. Receptionist couldn't see any record on computer so, after placing me on hold, came back saying sample had been sent to lab for testing as dipstick abnormal (didn't say why but assuming blood again). Said GP still wanted me to drop second sample next week "because of the vitamin C". Makes no sense as they'd already inferred it wouldn't affect results?! Said she didn't know how long results would be but I'd only hear if anything wrong. This was 4 days ago and now it's the weekend.

Can anyone make sense of this? Anyone had traces of blood and it turned out to be nothing? Needless to say I'm terrified.

Anyone have repeated traces of blood on urine dipstick and it turned out fine?

Just that really. Waiting for lab results after 2nd abnormal dipstick. Over 50 and no uti symptoms. Very worried. Thanks.

Re: Anyone have repeated traces of blood on urine dipstick and it turned out fine?

Hi there yes I did a few years ago just kept getting water infection and blood in urine all the time, I had an ulcer in my bladder was nothing to worry about I just was put on trimethoprim just half a tablet every night as a prevention and been fine ever since ,try not to worry its very common .

Re: Urine Dipstick Tests & vitamin C

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thread Information