Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Scary stuff I've handled the heck out of this week

Re: Scary stuff I've handled the heck out of this week

I just handled the living shit out of turning down a party invitation from my extended fam..

Historically, my anxiety would have gone orbital from the second of seeing the invitation. I would have felt pressured into going (although I don't 'know' most of them) - dreading every second leading up to the event, and I'd have got horribly pissed while I was there (projectile vomiting beer into some bushes around midnight) and then semi-dying for the next few weeks - never wanting to see another human being ever again..

While I did experience a few 'flashbacks' of times gone by......I reminded myself that I have my autism diagnosis (which explains the cringe-worthy-kill-me-now flashbacks) and that my body is now buggered and I'm invariably in bed by 7pm (party starts at 7.30) so I have politely, but firmly, declined the invitation..

ZERO GUILT!!!

Get in, Nora!!

Well done you, that's awesome!

I was with the in-laws the other weekend (we had a trip to Liverpool and I thought of you) and at one point they wanted me to walk a narrow path around this historic castle, with the other side of the path having a steep drop. Massive, massive anxiety trigger for me.

I gave it my best shot, but when I really couldn't handle it I said as much and promptly bolted back to safety. Glad I spoke up for myself rather than turning into a sniffling wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    but when I really couldn't handle it I said as much and promptly bolted back to safety. Glad I spoke up for myself rather than turning into a sniffling wreck.
    Well done!

My son is getting 'married' in a few weeks and I am going (I'd have to be dead not to go, and even then I'd reckon I'd give it a go) but I've told him that I (we) can only be there for a few hours. He understands. He's seen me struggle socially when he was growing up and he's seen me at my worst with this shitty health condition. I need to be there when they say their vows to each other and to have a brew, a bit of cake, cuddle the grandkids, give my lad a huge hug from his mama, and then it's back home again, and that's what I can cope with..

I've been in training for weeks, watching my diet and trying to keep my stress levels low - giving myself the best chance I can. (I have my Rocky Balboa bandana on - running up and down the stairs, ok maybe not running - but I'm definitely in preparation lol)

There are always going to be certain events that I need to attend, and in terms of importance my son's wedding is right up there. He's my world; him and his brothers. And Mr Batty, obvs (when he isn't annoying the crap out of me) and for them I want to give everything I have in terms of effort and energy, but it's also has to be about what I can realistically cope with - hence it can only be for a few hours (and believe me, this will take weeks to recover from - but he's worth it)

Well done BI and Nora
    Why do stuff that makes you feel uncomfortable, definitely not enjoyable, just to please others that probably don't give a monkeys anyway.

Absolutely!!

It's Quality not Quantity anyway, Nora and my gut feeling is that you will be able to share in your son's happiness on the day and bring back wonderful memories to keep you going when times are tough..You won't be one of the grislies determined to stay until the bitter end in order to get their money's worth..

Why are we all fed this rubbish that we need to be socially active? Some do, some don't. We're all different. It's ok not to like parties/get-togethers in my book!

This may seem daft, but with my increased anxiety the last couple of weeks I nearly cancelled my hair appointment. Well I didn't and managed to sit in the chair for 2 1/2 hours and even kind of enjoyed it. So instead of moan and say the bad stuff I am celebrating a little.

Congratulations, Catkins, great going!

Blimey..2 and a half hours!! What did you have done?!! I could no more sit still for all that time than fly so well done!!

Are you pleased with the results? Is this in preparation for Portugal?

We've got major road works going on outside the house and a 4 way traffic control system as a result..

Every morning this week at 720am on the dot a car has been in the queue waiting for the traffic lights to go green...with the window down and loud rap music absolutely blasting out for a good 5 mins. This morning I decided that I'd had enough and went out to confront the driver...who turned out to be female and intimidating to say the least..but I stood my ground and she turned the volume right down after telling me that if I didn't like it I could walk on by..Difficult when you happen to be in your own house at the time.

The test will come next week when she could well have it blaring even louder..

Good on you P! That's very brave, I would really struggle with that.

Haircut was just the usual, hide the grey and cut the ends off, just nicely coincides with Portugal (and so does the extra counselling session I booked in the week leading up to it).

Thank you both!

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information