Thread: Irrational Feelings

Irrational Feelings

Nearly 3 weeks ago I was driving to work when suddenly out of nowhere my heart literally pounded in my chest. A few minutes later when I stopped I checked my pulse on an app and it was over 155. I was terrified. I ended up having to go home from work. We called an ambulance before that and they put me on ecg for ages. Nothing unusual showed and once pulse back down to 80ish they let me go. Made Dr appointment as had had bloods and all normal. I've had it a few more times since then feeling like my heart is going so fast it'll burst, feeling it in my throat, feeling a little light headed, nauseous, clammy hands, feeling my whole body is vibrating. Dr won't give me beta blockers as I used to have mild asthma. Have used rescue remedy, deep breathing. I'm exhausted from it all. Interestingly, it doesn't really happen at night. I feel on edge nearly all the time and feeling flutters and missed beats. It happened again last evening. Id been fine all day, dressmaking. I went to the loo and as i was sat there completely out of nowhere, the really fast pounding started. I did lots of very deep breathing and hyperventilated. After about half an hour it eased a little and i felt really washed out and tired. This morning since waking up ive felt on edge with raised pulse. I guess its just in anticipation of it happening again. I'm ringing dr again tomo as she said to contact her again if I needed to and they may think about doing an extended holter monitoring. I had one done in March, which appered ok, but not so reassuring was the consultant's final comment 'i think all looks ok'. I had covid end of May and even beginn to wonder of it's linked. Im not goigling it though. This constant feeling of being on edge is driving me crazy. I keep telling myself to get a grip. Logically, I know it's anxiety, but I don't know why, because Idon'tfeel like im anxious, well, apart from worrying these atracks will happen again. Sorry for such a long post but it helps to get it out.

Re: Irrational Feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
    Nearly 3 weeks ago I was driving to work when suddenly out of nowhere my heart literally pounded in my chest. A few minutes later when I stopped I checked my pulse on an app and it was over 155. I was terrified. I ended up having to go home from work. We called an ambulance before that and they put me on ecg for ages. Nothing unusual showed and once pulse back down to 80ish they let me go. Made Dr appointment as had had bloods and all normal. I've had it a few more times since then feeling like my heart is going so fast it'll burst, feeling it in my throat, feeling a little light headed, nauseous, clammy hands, feeling my whole body is vibrating. Dr won't give me beta blockers as I used to have mild asthma. Have used rescue remedy, deep breathing. I'm exhausted from it all. Interestingly, it doesn't really happen at night. I feel on edge nearly all the time and feeling flutters and missed beats. It happened again last evening. Id been fine all day, dressmaking. I went to the loo and as i was sat there completely out of nowhere, the really fast pounding started. I did lots of very deep breathing and hyperventilated. After about half an hour it eased a little and i felt really washed out and tired. This morning since waking up ive felt on edge with raised pulse. I guess its just in anticipation of it happening again. I'm ringing dr again tomo as she said to contact her again if I needed to and they may think about doing an extended holter monitoring. I had one done in March, which appered ok, but not so reassuring was the consultant's final comment 'i think all looks ok'. I had covid end of May and even beginn to wonder of it's linked. Im not goigling it though. This constant feeling of being on edge is driving me crazy. I keep telling myself to get a grip. Logically, I know it's anxiety, but I don't know why, because Idon'tfeel like im anxious, well, apart from worrying these atracks will happen again. Sorry for such a long post but it helps to get it out.
    Sounds like you had a panic attack. (and they never come out of 'nowhere')

I had one driving too. Same as you, my heart started racing. Difference is I knew what it was, although I actually have the majority of mine at night (nocturnal panic attacks)

Your heart's been checked out and you're ok. This is anxiety and worrying about having another panic attack is a sure way to ensure they keep happening..

Panic attacks are unpleasant but not harmful. It's your body's alarm system which is responding to your thoughts (anxiety). Try not to add fear to the mix and your brain will eventually understand that there is no danger. When you get a panic attack, start deep breathing immediately as this slows the heart down and physically turns OFF the stress response. I've got my panic attack time to under a minute now. I literally had one the other week in the cinema and my husband and son didn't know it was happening. I knew what I had to do and I did it without moving out of my seat. And given that I understand that it takes my body a while to settle back down from the stress hormones, I don't fixate on the lingering sensations once my heart has stopped racing. I know (and expect) to feel a bit spaced out afterwards so, again, I'm not adding fear to the mix and keeping the cycle going..

You just have to understand the stress response and that it never comes out of the blue. You might have been holding your breath (subconsciously) or had some caffeine etc or some other trigger, but there will have been something..

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're in the midst of a spiral the fire is burning bright and hot. When the flames die down, there's still a bed of red hot coals burning away just waiting for some more fuel. You may not feel anxious but your body is still on high alert and has a bed of hot anxiety coals inside just waiting to flare up. Just like a campfire, the hot coals of anxiety take a long time to finally go out.
    Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

NoraB and Fishmanpa, thank you so much for your kind replies, I really appreciate it. Everything you both say is spot on. My Dr has just prescribed me propranolol which I'm reluctant to take as I had asthma years ago. Not used inhalers for about 12 years now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
    NoraB and Fishmanpa, thank you so much for your kind replies, I really appreciate it. Everything you both say is spot on. My Dr has just prescribed me propranolol which I'm reluctant to take as I had asthma years ago. Not used inhalers for about 12 years now though.
    Re the medication, seeing as it's been so long since you last had asthma, you should be ok. However, medication will only work on the symptoms of anxiety - not the cause.

Just looked at your posts from last year and it seems like you had an incredibly stressful year with some difficult things to deal with.

My mum died suddenly and that led to me developing a panic disorder. With the amount of things you had to deal with in such a short space of time, I'm not at all surprised that you're having panic attacks..

Have you had any therapy?

Thread Information