Thread: Propranolol question

Propranolol question

My Dr prescribed me propranolol 10mg to take as needed but also said I could take 2 up to 3 times daily. So far I mostly only take one but yesterday I yook a second one after about 3 hours. I feel reassured when I check my pulse as it stays around 64 - 72bpm now. However, the awful feelings of extreme panic don't seem to abate. My heart feeld like its beating all over the place, out of synch, which makes me feel worse. I hate it. I called the Dr yesterday morning to ask if someone could call me back as I had a couple of questions I wanted to ask. Receptionist called back to say doctor told her he was too busy to call and I'd have to try again on Monday. I've had a 34 hour holter monitor in March and an ecg about a month ago and all appeared normal, as was the blood test. So why on earth do I feel so rubbish nearly all the time? I can't even drive to work on my own anymore, my husband comes with me, drives home, then comes back later for me. Should I perhaps take 20mg propranolol in the morning? I just don't know what to do for the best.
    Thanks for reading.

Re: Propranolol question

Hi Dee,

Sorry you’re not feeling good. I can totally sympathise with how you’re feeling.

I’ve recently had a prescription for 40mg propranolol 3 times a day. I’m always a bit apprehensive of taking new medication for the first time so I’ve taken half a tablet in the morning and half before bed so far.

How are you feeling now?
    Last edited by Si-Griff76; 17-07-22 at 11:27. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
    My Dr prescribed me propranolol 10mg to take as needed but also said I could take 2 up to 3 times daily. So far I mostly only take one but yesterday I yook a second one after about 3 hours. I feel reassured when I check my pulse as it stays around 64 - 72bpm now. However, the awful feelings of extreme panic don't seem to abate.
    beta-blockers such as propranolol have little if any effect on the anxiety centres of the brain so do not ease anxiety/panic in the way antidepressants and benzodiazepines do. Their main effect is to block the adrenaline fuelled physical symptoms of the fight-or-flight response component of panic attacks. Some are able to cope much better if the fight-or-flight response is diminished, but it doesn't help everyone and this seems to be the case for you.

Also propranolol has a fairly short half-life, only about 4 hours so it usually needs to be taken 2-3 times a day to maintain its effects.

My heart feeld like its beating all over the place, out of synch, which makes me feel worse. I hate it.
    This isn't uncommon and is usually harmless, but can be very disturbing.

I called the Dr yesterday morning to ask if someone could call me back as I had a couple of questions I wanted to ask. Receptionist called back to say doctor told her he was too busy to call and I'd have to try again on Monday.
    Sigh!

I've had a 34 hour holter monitor in March and an ecg about a month ago and all appeared normal, as was the blood test. So why on earth do I feel so rubbish nearly all the time?
    Anxiety can be a huge drain on the body as well as the mind/brain.

I can't even drive to work on my own anymore, my husband comes with me, drives home, then comes back later for me. Should I perhaps take 20mg propranolol in the morning? I just don't know what to do for the best.
    You can try upping the dose to 20mg, or increasing the frequency of the 10mg doses, however, it sounds like the severity of your disorder is such that propranolol is of only limited usefulness and meds which target the biological cause rather than treat its symptoms are a better option as would be therapy if it is available (both antidepressants and the cognitive, behavioural (CBT, REBT, etc), or mindfulness therapies change the brain via the same biological process).

Hi Dee, my doctor put me on 80mg of Half Beta Prograne last year, it's a slow release and it has helped immensely with a lot of my severe anxiety episodes. You could discuss that with your doctor about getting a slow release, as it will release throughout the day and help not have ups and downs with the smaller doses, if their wearing off. But ask your doctor if that is what they would prescribe. It worked for me, it's not a miracle drug but it does help when like you or I are anxious people.

Also remember hormone, temperatures and stress, stress, stress cause a lot of those feelings too. I'm always worrying about that stuff, and I think it builds up subconsciously and that causes real physical symptoms to happen then and we exacerbate it the more frightened we become. It's easy me saying this, but I really do know how you feel and how frightening it feels, and guilt too. But people really do care, and we need to care for ourselves too.

Talk to your doctor, insist with the receptionist if you have too, and tell them everything and explain how you're feeling, and maybe they'll change your medication or put you on a different dose to help. I'm here if you need to talk though, we all are. Everyone here is really caring and compassionate as they've all been where we are x

It was m

Thank you for replying. I actually saw a dr today. I'm no longer taking propranolol, but she has given me some 2mg diazepam instead to help me get over this blip. She also signed me off work for the rest of the week.
    Yes, stress has alot to answer for, although I hadn't been feeling particularly stressed about anything until the doctors wouldn't listen. The one I saw this morning was really lovely.

I need 100mg Propanolol to get through a situational event. I prefer the 10mg tablets as you can drip feed them in over an hour or so before the event that causes the grief.

I currently have 40mg pills so have to cut them using a pill cutter.

But Propanolol works.

Thread Information