Thread: Worried about altitude sickness

Worried about altitude sickness

My wife and I planned a trip to Colorado. We’re driving from a low elevation all the way up to 10,500 ft in about 13 hours. I was unaware of the potential/prevalence of altitude sickness when we scheduled the trip. Now that it’s been brought to my attention I am worried sick. I am venting to my wife and I’ve now begun freaking her out and I feel really bad about that.

Has anyway closed a similar elevation gap in a similar amount of time and/or has anyone had altitude sickness? I’m really worried and it’s ruining the magic of this vacation. I feel awful for trapping my wife in my web of anxiety.

Re: Worried about altitude sickness

I have mild case of COPD, I'm 50yo and didn't know this until a few years ago. This mean my blood oxygen level is around 93 (instead of 99). I'm about to go to South America - very high places like Quito (2,850m), Lake Titicaca (3,800m) and La Paz (3,600m)... So, I'm right there with you buddy..

Colorado by comparison is not that high (1,600m).

I first went to Colorado when I was in my early 20's. I took a Greyhound bus, disembarked in Boulder and felt euphoric, like everything was cover in syrup! Then promptly vomited, and spent 2 days in a hostel bed with the girl at the desk taking care of me. Def - altitude sickness from someone who was born and raised at sea level.

Since then, have lived in Denver, and visited many times over the years with no issues at all. Go figure?

When I worry about Altitude Sickness I try to remember that airplanes are pressurized with the same amount of oxygen that can be found at 8,000 feet (2400m)... I've flown many long haul flights (before knowing this) without any issues what-so-ever. I'm sure you have too?

For some reason, this reassures me. Plus knowing if you feel like cr*p, then just catch a flight back down... No big deal. In the meantime if you need - just about any clinic can offer you oxygen as well.

There's a drug called 'Diamox' you can take starting a few days before your trip (and during) and it helps prevent Altitude sickness.. However, I read it can also increase palpitations (not good for me). Also you can do an Advil protocol (google ibuprofen for altitude) which seems to help almost as much as Diamox.

In reality, (statistically) sure you'll not have any significant issues, and if you do - will probs me mild and short lasting.

Last recommendations - if you're driving up - then you're the King, you can look at altitudes of cities as you make the ascent - find a hotel about 3/4 of the way up and stay a night there to let your body acclimate. Easy!

Other things - drink enough water, avoid alcohol, and avoid big meals or doing too much activity the first few days you arrive.

Good luck.

Re: Worried about altitude sickness

Panicface gave a great answer. I live in Kansas (not the lowest in the US but definitely not high altitude!) and vacation in the mountains as often as I can. Take it slow, stay hydrated, and you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thread Information