Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicles and Log Books

Vehicles and Log Books

I thought I'd post this here in case anyone intends to buy a used car anytime in the near future. If anyone does, never pay for a used vehicle unless the seller can produce a current V5C log book.

I made this mistake on Friday just passed, and I never realised just what it entails. I've had to fill in a V62 form to apply for a new V5C log book, this goes off to DVLA and could take 6 weeks to process. In the meantime I have to declare the car as off road using a V890 SORN form. But to do that, you need a V5C log book which of course I haven't got. Or, you can use your 11 digit number on your tax reminder form. Which, due to not having a V5C log book and the vehicle records thus showing I'm not the keeper of the vehicle, I can't tax it so thus haven't got the tax reminder form.

So round and round it goes, everything hinges on having possession of that V5C log book. The car meanwhile sits in the driveway losing value through the likes of seized brakes and perishing tyres, as the slug-like cogs of bureaucracy slowly grind away over the ensuing months. All self inflicted of course.

Re: Vehicles and Log Books

When I get a car, I go to a second hand car dealer (there's one that next time I trade in my car I'll be going to, who only had one complaint by one person on the reviews, and that was the fault of the person leaving the review, cause the car they bought from them needed some attention, according to the review, so the dealer offered to do the work before they took the car, the person buying the car refused - then complained on the reviews when the car had to go back in cause the work needed doing)
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

A horrible lesson to learn, Fishman. Thanks for the warning. Your seller needs to be put on the spot as to why there was no log book...

I had something like this when my Dad died and I took over his car - couldn’t find the log book. I had to write in to the DVLA in the end. I spent quite a bit of time googling it..

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. Slight difference was I was buying it off someone who the previous owner couldn't be bothered to deregister the car from themselves.
    Long story short, young lad who I was buying it off, bought the car then found he couldn't insure it so had to sell on.
    He had to do like you fishman65 and send off for new V5 via post V62. I gave him 50 quid deposit and keep me updated.
    DVLA did send a letter after 2-3 weeks stating a date when it would be processed and you should have 5 working days after that (they will take the full 5 days). All in all 4-5 weeks.
    When he did get the V5, I went over there on the evening (Monday), we did the V5 transfer online. Had the new V5 in my hands Friday morning in the post.
    I get the feeling online stuff gets priority, as it's registered with them digitally, so they don't have an excuse to delay it as most of the work has been done. Postal applications, well that bottom of the pile I'm afraid.
    Fortunately I didn't need the car as it was just a car to play with for the summer, so the wait wasn't a major issue. Although it had spent it's time in the lads ownership behind a block of flats in the roughest area and road locally, and didn't get touched, which sort of shows you it was a bit of a heap lol.

Good luck with yours. I feel your pain with having to deal with DVLA.

This is the first car I've ever bought that didn't have a log book. When buying privately the swapping of the log book sections is a given. When this dealer filled in a V62 form, I'd never heard of it and he said that all you do is take it to the post office and you get your V5C that way. Well yes, he's right about that. He just forgot to mention that it takes a long time, up to six weeks or more, to have a new log book with a new keeper.

He basically played on my ignorance and wanted a quick sale, which he got. I've no complaints about the car, its a nice Ford Fiesta and drove home well. It's just I wish I'd done my homework on log books. I can't use it until I get the V5C log book in my name, then get it taxed. So we're still without transport and reliant on my daughter's goodwill in letting us borrow her car.

Pulisa, I did phone him to ask him who is still the registered keeper. It's a Romanian chap who's returned to his homeland. It would have been nice to have known that prior to buying, but that's my fault. Buyer beware and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. Slight difference was I was buying it off someone who the previous owner couldn't be bothered to deregister the car from themselves.
    Long story short, young lad who I was buying it off, bought the car then found he couldn't insure it so had to sell on.
    He had to do like you fishman65 and send off for new V5 via post V62. I gave him 50 quid deposit and keep me updated.
    DVLA did send a letter after 2-3 weeks stating a date when it would be processed and you should have 5 working days after that (they will take the full 5 days). All in all 4-5 weeks.
    When he did get the V5, I went over there on the evening (Monday), we did the V5 transfer online. Had the new V5 in my hands Friday morning in the post.
    I get the feeling online stuff gets priority, as it's registered with them digitally, so they don't have an excuse to delay it as most of the work has been done. Postal applications, well that bottom of the pile I'm afraid.
    Fortunately I didn't need the car as it was just a car to play with for the summer, so the wait wasn't a major issue. Although it had spent it's time in the lads ownership behind a block of flats in the roughest area and road locally, and didn't get touched, which sort of shows you it was a bit of a heap lol.

Good luck with yours. I feel your pain with having to deal with DVLA.
    Thanks spectrum, you're right about the DVLA. Without the V5C, its like you're off grid, especially so online. One guy I got through to, he tutted and started lecturing me about buying cars with no log book. OK he was right, but is that his job? Maybe he thought I was a crook. I'm glad yours turned out well.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    This is the first car I've ever bought that didn't have a log book. When buying privately the swapping of the log book sections is a given. When this dealer filled in a V62 form, I'd never heard of it and he said that all you do is take it to the post office and you get your V5C that way. Well yes, he's right about that. He just forgot to mention that it takes a long time, up to six weeks or more, to have a new log book with a new keeper.

He basically played on my ignorance and wanted a quick sale, which he got. I've no complaints about the car, its a nice Ford Fiesta and drove home well. It's just I wish I'd done my homework on log books. I can't use it until I get the V5C log book in my name, then get it taxed. So we're still without transport and reliant on my daughter's goodwill in letting us borrow her car.

Pulisa, I did phone him to ask him who is still the registered keeper. It's a Romanian chap who's returned to his homeland. It would have been nice to have known that prior to buying, but that's my fault. Buyer beware and all that.
    My son has a Ford Fiesta and it's been very reliable if that's any consolation. Also it will be easy to get it repaired should you need new parts at any stage. It's been a nightmare trying to get parts for my aged Peugeot.

Buying a secondhand car is a minefield unless you are very clued up about the pitfalls etc..I'm certainly not so will be keeping my fingers crossed that my 21 year old passes its MOT in a month! It's easy to regret purchases in hindsight but hopefully you will be pleased with your Fiesta once you have the correct documentation to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My son has a Ford Fiesta and it's been very reliable if that's any consolation. Also it will be easy to get it repaired should you need new parts at any stage. It's been a nightmare trying to get parts for my aged Peugeot.

Buying a secondhand car is a minefield unless you are very clued up about the pitfalls etc..I'm certainly not so will be keeping my fingers crossed that my 21 year old passes its MOT in a month! It's easy to regret purchases in hindsight but hopefully you will be pleased with your Fiesta once you have the correct documentation to hand.
    The car I've just bought is a 19 year old Peugeot! I've only bought service items like oil and filter, a new wing mirror, and brake pads and discs, so far no problems obtaining parts for it, but I've only scratched the surface.

You will get great service from your Peugeot! There are loads of old ones still on the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information