Thread: To Paxlovid or Not!?

To Paxlovid or Not!?

I'm on day three of Covid symptoms. My fever is lower but my cough is worse. My doctor prescribed Paxlovid because I qualify based on BMI but didn't necessarily think I'd need it. I'm having such a hard time deciding what to do! I'm so anxious about the side effects but also, obviously, anxious about what could happen if I don't take it. Ughhh.

I know a few people on here have taken it or are taking it now - anyone else have experience? Thanks!

Re: To Paxlovid or Not!?

We’ll, I’m on my last day so I’ll reply to this for posterity.

The only side effect I’ve had is the bad taste in my mouth. The internet says metallic, but for me it was really just a sour/bitter taste. It’s not constant, but comes and goes through the day - getting worse at night when I’m laying down. It’s pretty unpleasant, but manageable and cinnamon gum helped.

I felt nauseous a handful of times if my stomach was empty, so I recommend taking it with food and being sure to have small meals/snacks through the day.

I started the meds on day 3 after testing positive. My fever was already waning but I woke up that morning with a cough. I’m not sure if it’s the meds or coincidence, but my cough was gone within a few hours of the first dose and has not returned.

My husband started the meds on day 1 and he still had a similar trajectory - fever, body aches, etc. for two days but it’s also stayed out of his lungs. He’s on day 5 and still has a really bad sore throat. But he has asthma so keeping it from his lungs was a good thing. He’s had some GI side effects, but nothing severe at all and they could also be from Covid.

It’s impossible to know if the meds made a difference or not because everyone does so differently with Covid, but most people I know who’ve had Covid recently ended up with a long lingering cough, which I seem to have entirely avoided. If this helps keep that at bay and maybe avoid some long Covid symptoms, I think it’s worth it.

Still, taking it made me very anxious and I would have to think hard about taking it again if I get reinfected. But, for anyone with true risk factors for severe disease I think it’s a no brainer.

I would agree with all of that Erin. I do really think the med helped keep it from settling in my chest, which I’m super prone to. And I always have a cough that lasts a month or more after I get over an upper respiratory infection. My tenth day since symptoms started was Sunday, and I have zero cough. It’s so odd. I’m definitely attributing that to Paxlovid.

as to side effects, mine was only the nasty taste lol. Mine also came and went, I feel like it tasted like you were sucking on an uncoated aspirin, or a mucinex pill - constantly. Sometimes it was worse than others, but within hours of my final dose the taste had gone away. Pretty minor side effect overall.

im glad you’re on the road to recovery and hopefully your husband is soon! My husband also started taking Paxlovid on day one (high BMI) but he’s still struggling with a cough. His ten days is on Thursday this week and he finished his dose pack yesterday.

I called my doctor to ask for Paxlovid but he wouldnÂ’t give it to me. He said 1 in 5 people who take it end up worse. He also said my risk factors werenÂ’t bad enough and to just isolate and treat like a cold.

I didnÂ’t care for his response so I had a concierge doc give me monoclonal antibodies. IÂ’ll report back on their effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapj View Post
    I called my doctor to ask for Paxlovid but he wouldnÂ’t give it to me. He said 1 in 5 people who take it end up worse. He also said my risk factors werenÂ’t bad enough and to just isolate and treat like a cold.

I didnÂ’t care for his response so I had a concierge doc give me monoclonal antibodies. IÂ’ll report back on their effectiveness.
    That’s an odd response! But I have heard the antibody treatment works great. Let us know!

I agree! A very odd response and not in line with what the data on Paxlovid shows. I will say I feel MUCH better after the monoclonal antibody (bebtelovimab) treatment. Maybe not 100% but close.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapj View Post
    I agree! A very odd response and not in line with what the data on Paxlovid shows. I will say I feel MUCH better after the monoclonal antibody (bebtelovimab) treatment. Maybe not 100% but close.
    I’m glad it’s working!

Thread Information