Thread: Pale/Light Brown/Yellow?

Pale/Light Brown/Yellow?

I'm currently on day 5 of my changed bowel colour. I am under massive stress at the moment (waiting for unrelated test results) and hope that is the reason. I have been having soft stools (but formed) and mucus. Some folk say they have yellow stools, others say beige, others say pale, so I'm confused as to what to call mine...I believe it to be beige towards yellow. It is not white, gray, black, red. This morning it was soft but formed, but just now it was very loose.

I don't really know what to ask as I'm stuck in a loop with my anxiety. Logic tells me that this has all come on since my stress ramped up hugely recently. I had this back in 2020 but it sorted itself out over time. My anxious mind says that it is unrelated to recent stressful events and is a new thing added in.

I think I probably have IBS which my wife feels I have too. Many places say that light coloured stool can be a worry, other places seem to say its IBS (although that too isn't fun of course).

I'd welcome any insight at all as I don't think I can will this issue better, my anxiety is just too strong.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by Dax; 22-07-22 at 16:22. Reason: More detail

Re: Pale/Light Brown/Yellow?

I’ve had IBS for years and have experienced all colors and consistencies regarding stools. I don’t think color in itself means much. I have IBS-D and stress is a huge factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    I’ve had IBS for years and have experienced all colors and consistencies regarding stools. I don’t think color in itself means much. I have IBS-D and stress is a huge factor.
    Thanks for your reply. Sadly, stress does seem such a major factor and breaking the brain gut connection seems impossible, so it becomes a vicious circle.
    I don't like these changes going on long though...I'm now on day 6 and would say its still probably the same colour...maybe it won't go until my other stressor is removed?
    Last edited by Dax; 23-07-22 at 07:50. Reason: Spelling

Mine went on just like yours, for months, due to stress. Then went normal form months. Actually had a scary one earlier today though that I'm "dealing" with!

It'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Many places say that light coloured stool can be a worry, other places seem to say its IBS (although that too isn't fun of course).
    Stepping out the front door can be a worry but it doesn't mean I'm going to be hit by a car or bolt of lightening. In fact, those things are highly unlikely.

Same situation here. Pale stool can be a sign of a problem but it's not that simple; there will be other factors and symptoms. Also, most people misunderstand what's meant by 'pale' stools.

When poo strays from your norm the first things you need to look at is what you've been eating and drinking (inc medications etc) as mostly the cause will be there.

I had floating poo this morning (the bugger refused to go down) but I know that carbonated drinks do this, and I was drinking soda water yesterday - so I am unconcerned because there is cause and effect..

I get paler stools when my anxiety is high and also when I'm on my medication for migraines, but I'm talking a pale brown here. When it comes to paleness, the colours that warrant a trip to the docs are stools which look like clay or are white (like dog shit used to be in the 70s), where there are no explanations (such as medication or having had a barium test etc)) and which doesn't resolve itself after week or so, and even then, the most likely (and common) cause is gallstones. (and not at all where your HA mind is trying to take you)

My stools have been all colours, all consistencies, and I have IBS.. (mine were yellow for about a week recently but I'd had a gut bug)

Go through what you ingest with a fine-tooth comb. I mean everything that you ingest - inc supplements. (And then look at your stress levels)

If your poo looks on the yellow side to you then the simplest cause is what you've been eating so think yellow foods, drinks etc. Or you get yellow poo after a gut bug. (Have you had a tummy bug recently?)

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about here..

Thread Information