Thread: Renewed Covid Dispair

Renewed Covid Dispair

On day 7 since my first positive Covid test and I’m feeling so much despair. My husband and daughter are still pretty sick. I’m finishing up my unpleasant course of Paxlovid. And, I’m reading about how post-infection immunity is getting more and more illusive.

We were incredibly careful for the entire pandemic. Last week we went to the Van Gogh experience and, with the exception of a private party at a restaurant and my office where only two other people work, it was the first public indoor space I went to without a mask since the start. Three days later I had Covid. Now, some scientists are saying you can get ba5 ever 4 weeks, so getting sick doesn’t even offer long term protection.

And we were sick. This wasn’t “just a cold” or some surprise asymptomatic positive. All of us, including my 8 year old, got very sick for several days. It was like a bad flu - not something I want to have once a month.

I’ve been one of those people holding out hope that things would get better, but now I’m really losing hope.

How are you all coping as year 3 doesn’t seem to be offering much light at the end of the tunnel? I just read an article that maybe Covid would become endemic in 2 more years….

Re: Renewed Covid Dispair

I just think that I don’t want my daughter to live under the imposed restrictions any more.
    She caught it twice with 80 days in between, my partner and I have had it once. She’s the only person I know who was infected so close together.

The only thing I can say is to keep getting the boosters or vaccinations that are offered. They are making them for the new & dominant versions, so they are continuing to try and fight it.
    Keep being careful, but don’t let it run your life.

It shouldnt be that bad if you catch it again...it should get weaker now.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonRain View Post
    It shouldnt be that bad if you catch it again...it should get weaker now.
    Yes. Though I don't in any way wish to tempt fate by saying this, I think Covid as a whole already got as bad as it could get during 2021, but the deaths during the BA.4/5 wave this summer seem to be the lowest so far; even lower than the previous BA.1 and 2 waves earlier this year, both of which, in turn, were even lower than during Delta, Alpha, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    On day 7 since my first positive Covid test and I’m feeling so much despair. My husband and daughter are still pretty sick. I’m finishing up my unpleasant course of Paxlovid. And, I’m reading about how post-infection immunity is getting more and more illusive.

We were incredibly careful for the entire pandemic. Last week we went to the Van Gogh experience and, with the exception of a private party at a restaurant and my office where only two other people work, it was the first public indoor space I went to without a mask since the start. Three days later I had Covid. Now, some scientists are saying you can get ba5 ever 4 weeks, so getting sick doesn’t even offer long term protection.

And we were sick. This wasn’t “just a cold” or some surprise asymptomatic positive. All of us, including my 8 year old, got very sick for several days. It was like a bad flu - not something I want to have once a month.

I’ve been one of those people holding out hope that things would get better, but now I’m really losing hope.

How are you all coping as year 3 doesn’t seem to be offering much light at the end of the tunnel? I just read an article that maybe Covid would become endemic in 2 more years….
    I think you should be selective in what you choose to read re Covid and its variants, Erin. Do you really need to read up about it at all at this stage? Scientists will have their varying opinions and theories but it's what happens to you and your family which is important. Know what you need to know but too much knowledge doesn't necessarily help you nor does it apply to you and your circumstances.

You've just all had Covid and have come out the other side. Don't overthink your next bout of it? It may never happen.

Honestly, Erin, I feel much the same way. I haven't had covid yet (to my knowledge) and I do not want it. I will get all vaccines and boosters, but for now am "playing it safe" and distancing as much as I can, wearing a mask indoors with strangers, etc.

It's definitely sad because I have a lot of really great memories of going out with friends, fun vacations, etc. and it feels like those have come to a halt and I have to exercise a lot more caution. That's just life I guess. I remember reading about past pandemics and thinking to myself "why didn't they just isolate?". Being in one myself has made me really appreciate how difficult that can be.

As for a way forward...obviously Covid is around to stay but I think that if they are able to come out with more effective vaccinations as well as effective and easily accessible treatments that can kick it off early and prevent any long lasting issues; at that point I would personally feel a lot safer.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Honestly, Erin, I feel much the same way. I haven't had covid yet (to my knowledge) and I do not want it. I will get all vaccines and boosters, but for now am "playing it safe" and distancing as much as I can, wearing a mask indoors with strangers, etc.

It's definitely sad because I have a lot of really great memories of going out with friends, fun vacations, etc. and it feels like those have come to a halt and I have to exercise a lot more caution. That's just life I guess. I remember reading about past pandemics and thinking to myself "why didn't they just isolate?". Being in one myself has made me really appreciate how difficult that can be.

As for a way forward...obviously Covid is around to stay but I think that if they are able to come out with more effective vaccinations as well as effective and easily accessible treatments that can kick it off early and prevent any long lasting issues; at that point I would personally feel a lot safer.
    I’m also positive and I feel your pain. I’ve had all my vaccines and I feel simply terrible! Stay strong! Here to chat if you need someone x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information