Thread: Panic attacks and driving phobia?

Panic attacks and driving phobia?

Hello

About two years a go I had a panic attack on the M1. It came completely out of the blue. I didn’t calm down until I was off if, and then it was instant relief. I tried lots of time afterwards to get back on it, but the panic would set in every single time. It got to a point where even being on a roundabout where one of the exits would make me have a panic attack because I was scared I would accidentally take that turn. As a way of avoidance, I stuck to dual carriageways to get to where I needed to go. While that was fine initially, I then started having panic attacks on dual carriageways, which means I’m now confined to back roads and residential areas. I’m constantly checking routes on how to get somewhere in a way that I will feel comfortable with. I have always been a confident driver, always been a motorway driver. But I have now built this all up in my head and don’t know how to reverse it. A few months ago, I had a driving refresher lesson with an instructor and we did dual carriageways and motorways. Funnily enough, I didn’t panic at all. He said I was a really good driver and he could tell I was a motorway driver. I felt like I had cured it. So later that day, me and my OH decided to do a junction together so I could show him my regained confidence. As soon as we approached the roundabout, bam. I had a panic attack and came back on myself. I don’t know what to do next. I used to love driving. As soon as I get on one of these roads, I completely freeze. It honestly feels like a white knuckle ride and everything in me is screaming. I feel like everything is too bright, too clear. I’m shaking uncontrollably (which makes it quite hard on clutch control). I feel like I’m going to collapse behind the wheel. I’m absolutely terrified. I’ve now left it so long I don’t know what to do. I really don’t have the confidence right now for an exposure method. I know a lot of people say you just have to sit with it and accept it, but it feels so dangerous feeling like that behind the wheel. Please help :(

Re: Panic attacks and driving phobia?

I had a driving phobia for years! And I stopped driving completely until a few months ago.
    Like you say it becomes unbearable and repercussions of PAs. I left it far too long to drive again but what I realised was, it was the thoughts when driving, not the driving itself. Driving becomes a second nature and you do it automatically and that left my mind to wander. Whether I needed such a long break, I don't know and I'm still a bit nervous when I drive sometimes but I drive in my comfort zone now. I used to drive the motorways in all hours long distance. I don't feel confident to do that anymore. And there are many drivers that don't. Your driving skills are not issue, it's the thinking you do when you drive. In other words you have to be 100% on the driving and nothing else. I've also got a different car which I think has helped. And I have someone with me when I drive.
    With the roundabouts, which are obviously difficult to avoid, maybe you could say something like "there she is, what a beauty" instead of the fear aspect that comes into your head. Or even laugh at it until you use them with no fear again. I personally wouldn't push yourself for a while with the motorway driving and it is possible to avoid them and take other routes.
    You could also try some meditation Apps just before you drive or affirmations. "I have nothing to fear, I have nothing to fear, I have nothing to fear". "I'm a good driver, I'm a good driver, I'm a good driver".

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I had a driving phobia for years! And I stopped driving completely until a few months ago.
    Like you say it becomes unbearable and repercussions of PAs. I left it far too long to drive again but what I realised was, it was the thoughts when driving, not the driving itself. Driving becomes a second nature and you do it automatically and that left my mind to wander. Whether I needed such a long break, I don't know and I'm still a bit nervous when I drive sometimes but I drive in my comfort zone now. I used to drive the motorways in all hours long distance. I don't feel confident to do that anymore. And there are many drivers that don't. Your driving skills are not issue, it's the thinking you do when you drive. In other words you have to be 100% on the driving and nothing else. I've also got a different car which I think has helped. And I have someone with me when I drive.
    With the roundabouts, which are obviously difficult to avoid, maybe you could say something like "there she is, what a beauty" instead of the fear aspect that comes into your head. Or even laugh at it until you use them with no fear again. I personally wouldn't push yourself for a while with the motorway driving and it is possible to avoid them and take other routes.
    You could also try some meditation Apps just before you drive or affirmations. "I have nothing to fear, I have nothing to fear, I have nothing to fear". "I'm a good driver, I'm a good driver, I'm a good driver".
    That is really helpful advice, and thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply! I did consider if getting a new car would help, as a bit of a change of scenery! And when I have driven other peoples cars I’ve been more focused on driving rather than letting my mind wander. I often think if I got on one road and drove up and down constantly it would surely in the end not bother me, but it’s that initial bravery and getting through those panic attacks that makes it so off putting and scary. Maybe I’ll need to start small and build up to it. And take someone with me the first few times. It’s just crazy how i used to love fast, open roads and now I don’t recognise me in those scenarios anymore!

I have the same issue with driving.

I wrote this which may help....

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articl...Whilst_Driving

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Oh and have you read my story:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/my-story

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I have the same issue with driving.

I wrote this which may help....

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articl...Whilst_Driving
    Thank you so much, that’s a great article and really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience and insights on driving phobia. It's great to hear that you were able to overcome your fear and start driving again, even if it's within your comfort zone. Your advice on focusing solely on driving and not letting your mind wander is very helpful, as well as finding ways to reframe your thoughts about roundabouts.

Additionally, using affirmations and meditation before driving can be helpful for reducing anxiety and increasing confidence. It's important to take things at your own pace and not push yourself too hard, especially when it comes to driving on the motorway. Overall, it's important to find what works best for you and to seek support from loved ones or professionals if needed.

Thread Information