Thread: Diagnosed with oesophageal stricture

Diagnosed with oesophageal stricture

Hello all. In a bit of a state mentally this evening and just wondering if anyone here has ever suffered from this?

I have had acid reflux for many years. Recently, well over the last 18 months or so, I’ve had swallowing difficulties. This started off as only occasional, but more recently has got worse. Been on PPIs but clearly not worked great.

I had a barium swallow the week before last and today I went back to the hospital for an appointment with my consultant to be given results.

I was devastated to hear that I have a narrowing of the oesophagus, which he feels it is most likely to be due to the fact that I’ve had bad reflux all these years. They need to do an endoscopy, with a view to balloon dilatation of the oesophagus. I’m not having the endoscopy until the end of August 😞 because my consultant wants to be on me to be on the list of a particular doctor for the procedure, and that is his next available slot.

Does anyone else, or has anyone else in the past, had a stricture of the oesophagus, and had a positive outcome from this?

Feeling very scared :(

Re: Diagnosed with oesophageal stricture

My father has that issue and had the dilation procedure several times. Its helped him for sure.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 28-07-22 at 12:35.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

My son was born with about 2 cm of oesophagus and has had his stomach lifted to the top of his chest. He has had many successful dilatations where the narrowing occurs at the op site and his swallowing always improves afterwards. It's a very safe procedure and you will find swallowing a lot easier afterwards. You need to be careful about your diet now and avoid difficult foods such as bread, roast meat and sausages!!! Always drink plenty of water with meals too.

My mom has had a stricture and had the simple procedure for it. All went well. I suspect that I have it as well as I have a long history of reflux and trouble swallowing but I’ve never mentioned it to my doctor. I probably should!
    I think we’ll both be just fine.

Thread Information