Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirtazipine to Citalopram

Mirtazipine to Citalopram

I’ve been on 45mg of Mirtazipine for about 5 years and 200mg Sulpiride . I’m switching and my GP has told me to come straight off Sulpiride and taper the Mirtazipine to 30mg for two weeks and 15mg for one week . Does that sound about right .

Re: Mirtazipine to Citalopram

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
    I’ve been on 45mg of Mirtazipine for about 5 years and 200mg Sulpiride . I’m switching and my GP has told me to come straight off Sulpiride and taper the Mirtazipine to 30mg for two weeks and 15mg for one week . Does that sound about right .
    Sounds about right. When do you start taking citalopram?

Also, just to satisfy my curiosity, how did you come to be taking this drug combination rather than a SSRI, SNRI, or TCA?

Thanks I start taking this in about a weeks time at moment suffering from some nausea and loss of appetite is this normal . I’m not sure how I came to be on this it was what I was put on by psychiatrist after I had a stay in hospital .

Thanks I start taking this in about a weeks time at moment suffering from some nausea and loss of appetite is this normal .
    They can be withdrawal symptoms. When did you stop taking sulpiride and cut back the mirtazapine dose?

I’m not sure how I came to be on this it was what I was put on by psychiatrist after I had a stay in hospital .
    You were asking here about going back onto citalopram 6 years ago. Did that cause the hospital stay?

I stopped the Sulpiride 4 days ago and started cutting down the mirtazipine nearly two weeks ago . No the citalopram didn’t make me go to hospital I had a suicide attempt

I stopped the Sulpiride 4 days ago and started cutting down the mirtazipine nearly two weeks ago .
    Then the nausea and loss of appetite are most likely withdrawal. Ginger and/or vitamin B6 are good for nausea. Your appetite will likely return soon and as some weight gain is a common initial SSRI side-effect you'll probably regain what you've lost and add a bit more.

No the citalopram didn’t make me go to hospital I had a suicide attempt
    Then the combination makes a little more sense as an immediate response. Did you continue to see the psychiatrist or has your GP been managing your medication?

Thanks my GP has been monitoring my medication . The nausea is the worst how long do you think this will last

Should I also have tapered the Sulpiride rather than coming off abruptly

Decided to go back on mirtazipine and sulpuride withdrawal too bad and get appointment with psychiatry’s not go

Decided to go back on mirtazipine and sulpuride withdrawal too bad and get appointment with psychiatry’s not go
    The ginger or vitamin B6 might have made a difference, but ask the psychiatrist to prescribe an anti nausea med if you're going to attempt weaning off again. Ondansetron (Zofran) would be a good choice as it has potent anti anxiety properties. During its development phase GlaxoSmithKline considered getting it approved for anxiety/panic, but apparently there were bigger profits in marketing it for chemo and radiation treatment induced nausea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information