Thread: Hit Rock Bottom

Hit Rock Bottom

Hi I haven,'t posted on here for a while except for a post on sleeping pills.
    I was diagnosed with GAD 10 years ago in my 30s and have gone for long spells feeling well and some were I am not but I have worked quite regularly but have to take extended leave for treatment several years ago.
    I am really struggling tonight with severe anxiety and it is depressing me severely, it has been a tough couple of weeks with anxiety and the depression only really started this week but I have been off work for a month knowing something is wrong.I I have quite a stressful and dangerous job as i work for an oil company offshore.
    I have been through this before but this is the worst anxiety I have had for several years. It has been building up for several days now and after a long drive back home today after staying with my mother and the heat and heavy traffic were horrible back to my local chemist to collect medication (propananol). I thought It would be tough and It was and has struck me tonight and has really shaken me up. I took two propananol which made me feel sick and that made me more anxious instead of less and only breathing exercises have relieved the symptoms .
    As for the reasons and triggers that CBT and Doctors want you identify I usually blame work , family and genetics for my condition and it's been a tough couple of years with world events but I am hardly unique in worrying about them.
    A nurse once told me it's alright not always to have an explanation for my depression as it can tear you up trying to search for reasons sometimes leaving the symptoms i cannot change and identifying the symptoms I can remedy is a better strategy.
    I have been staying with my mother for support but she is quite old and has issues herself with alcohol and anxiety so I came back to my flat to go to the Doctor on Monday and I will have to maybe speak to some kind of crisis team , I have self harmed before.
    After speaking to the Doctor on the phone last week I suspect and so do they that the Citalopram SSRI I take has stopped working after several years on the highest dose 40 mg which was never ideal .I was advised to continue them even though I suspected they were not working like before .
    GPs and the NHS are pretty restricted with COVID until recently which I understand totally but this is the first time I have admitted I am ill for several years and need help as I can usually recover myself with some hard work and common sense.
    I have had courses of CBT with both NHS and private but found them only effective temporarily and I didn't see it working for me long term, I do still try to utilise some of the techniques but I am still not convinced.
    I am hoping writing this out will bring me some respite and the strength to wait until Monday , my mother is with me but asleep and I don't want to stress her out too much as she is getting frustrated with me which is understandable and I am not the best of company.
    I feel it's counter productive to keep popping pills that have been prescribed but that's all you seem to get from doctors at first and I was nieve in the beginning and thought anti depressants would cure my anxiety and that is my next challenge is to either change SSRI or stop them altogether.
    I will try and slow down over weekend and take one step at a time. I am convinced it's just been a stressful day and I will feel more hopeful tomorrow.
    I still have a lot of dreams and aspirations and I will not let this condition stop me.... Sorry for the long out pouring but I am pissed off ☹️
    Last edited by rcs; 30-07-22 at 00:28.

Re: Hit Rock Bottom

Hi RCS,
    I'm so sorry to hear how bad things have gotten. I'm not in any position to help but I just wanted to let you know that someone is listening when you say how much you are struggling right now, and I understand how you're feeling with the pressure of anxiety building up to breaking point. Sometimes venting can help more than we realise so if you want to vent any more I will be here to listen.

Stay safe and know you're not alone.

Jynx

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Yes thanks Jynx i appreciate your reply, it's a distraction to write out my problems and vent my frustration about my anxiety issues and to write it down to maybe put in perspective.

Its a wretched condition at times which can floor you even when you understand it quite well and know the triggers especially late at night , it is just having the strength and patience to deal with it and to let it pass.

I have changed my life style considerably over the last month and I am hopeful for some treatment next week or some advice on my medication.

I find dealing with some aspects of the NHS stressful especially when I'm feeling like this.
    But I shall endeavour to persevere 😬

It is indeed a wretched condition that can strike just when you feel better. And yes genetics have a lot to answer for imo.

I hope venting here has helped somewhat. When you feel you have no one to talk to, there are always people on here who understand you like no others can.

Ghost…Spillways

Thread Information